63 of Medford's Historic Sites







The blue and white historic sites markers are,

in most instances, placed on private property.

The public is asked to respect the rights of the

owners and to regard the signs as information

and not as invitations to trespass.











Locations of 63 Historic Sites Markers . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 ­ 3

Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4

Historic Sites Texts, No. 1 to No. 37 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 - 31

Map showing 35 sites within Medford Village . . . . . . . . . . 32

Fold-up map showing 28 sites outside the Village . . . . . . 33

Historic Sites Texts, No. 38 to No. 63 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34 - 51

Glossary of Terms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 52 ­ 58

(NOTE: Underlined terms in the 63 texts

are defined in the Glossary.)

Index . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 59 - 65






1. Braddock's Mill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sawmill Road

2. Taunton Furnace and Forge . Breakneck & Hopewell Roads

3. Hoot Owl Farm . . . . . . . . . . . . . .70 Christopher's Mill Road

4. Oliphant's Mills . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Himmelein Road

5. Cross Keys Tavern . . . . . North of Stokes and Jackson Road

6. Powder Explosion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Branin Road

7. Braddock's Landing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Mill Street

8. Friends Meeting House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Union Street

9. The Nail House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 Jennings Road

10. The Benjamin Wilkins House . . . . . . . . . 40 Jennings Road

11. The Thomas Wilkins House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 271 Route 541

12. Dr. Still's Office . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 206 Church Road

13. Kirby's Mill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Church Road

14. The John Haines House . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 Fostertown Road

15. Sandtown . . . . . Corner of Eayrestown and Sandtown Roads

16. Peacock Cemetery . . . . . .Chairville Road, north of Route 70

17. Star Glass Works . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . South Main Street

18. Christopher's Mill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 Tuckerton Road

19. Aetna Furnace . . . . . . . . . . . . . Stokes Road, Medford Lakes

20. The Nehemiah Haines House . . . . . . . . . . . 272 Church Road

21. The Dr. George Haines House . . . . . . . . . . 33 N. Main Street

22. The Jonathan Haines House . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51 Union Street

23. The Haines/Cochley/Singer House . . Jones Rd. & Union St.

24. The Stratton/Braddock House . . . . . . . . . . 70 S. Main Street

25. The Riley/Garwood House . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51 S. Main Street

26. The William Dyer House . . . . . . . . . . . 63-65 S. Main Street

27. Stratton Burying Ground . . Stokes Rd., N. of HimmeleinRd.

28. The Toll House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 205 Route 541

29. Main Street Friends Meeting House . . . S. Main & South St.

30. The Sawyer's House . . . . . Fostertown Road at Church Road

31. Cross Roads . . . . . . . . . Corner of Church Road & Route 541







32. The Albert Kirby House . . . . . . . . . . . . . 89 N. Main Street

33. The Maurice Haines House . . . . . . . . . . . 85 N. Main Street

34. The Everett Haines House . . . . . . . . . . . . 83 N. Main Street

35. Ely Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40 N. Main Street

36. A Sears Roebuck House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 Branch Street

37. The Indian Chief Tavern . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 N. Main Street

38. St. Peter's Episcopal Church. .Union Street & Allen Avenue

39. Nine South Main Street . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 S. Main Street

40. The Owen Stratton House . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60 S. Main Street

41. The Dr. R. S. Braddock House . . . . . . . . .100 S. Main Street

42. The P. M. & M. Railroad. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 69 N. Main Street

43. The Joseph Allen House. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 58 N. Main Street

44. The Weeks-Bowker House . . . . . . . . . . . . 56 N. Main Street

45. The Dr. Josiah Reeve House . . . . . . . . . . . 50 N. Main Street

46. Milton Allen's School . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19 Branch Street

47. The Stacy Prickett House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22 Branch Street

48. The Oldest House on Branch St . . . . . . . . . 47 Branch Street

49. The Methodist Church Cemetery . . . . . . . . . . Branch Street

50. Glassworkers' Homes . . . . . South Main and Trimble Street

51. The Oliphant Homestead . . . . . . . . . . 108 Himmelein Road

52. Decades Ago in Lake Pine . . . Falls Road and Taunton Blvd

53. The Village of Chairville .Chairville Road north of Route 70

54. Two One-Room Schools .Corner of Church/Eayrestown Rds

55. Brace Road School . . . . . . Corner of Church and Ark Roads

56. Cranberry Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 88 Charles Street

57. Filbert Street School . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Filbert Street

58. First House on Filbert St . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 Filbert Street

59. First House on Bank St . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22 Bank Street

60. The Mary Smith House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 67 Union Street

61. The Glassworks Store . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 123 S. Main Street

62. Cross Keys School . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mill Street

63. The John Peacock House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 Branin Road







A major purpose of the preparation and distribution

of this booklet to Medford's residents is to acquaint

today's young people and tomorrow's decision makers with

the unique and historic nature of the town in which we

live. It is our hope that the information about the historic

persons, sites and buildings presented here will be one

step toward an increased appreciation of Medford's past

and the need for future preservation of the rich historical

heritage within our community.









Sawmill Road

In the late 1700's John Prickett owned several thousand

acres of prime timberland in this area. To provide power to

operate his sawmill, Prickett dammed Kettle Run.

William Braddock in the 1860's established here an

up-and-down sawmill, capable of cutting larger timbers.

Charcoal used at the old Philadelphia Mint was made from

oaks cut down in the Braddock's Mill area.


Charcoal is chunks of carbon made from wood by burning

off the water, gases, tars and resins. The collier constructed

a charcoal pit above ground using four-foot long slabs of

wood. To make the 8-to-10 foot tall mound nearly airtight,

he covered it with sod and filled in the cracks with sand.

The collier then lit a fire that burned slowly inside the

pit for a week to ten days. When the pit collapsed and cooled,

he raked the charcoal out and put it in bags. While tending

the charcoal pit, the collier slept nearby in a crude shelter

made of boards or of branches covered with leaves.

Charcoal was the fuel used in the iron furnaces and

forges at Aetna and Taunton.








Breakneck and Taunton Roads

Taunton furnace and forge were part of the iron empire

of Charles Read. The furnace went into blast in 1767.

Taunton produced pig iron bars and hollowware. Cannon

balls were cast here during the American Revolution. The

Medford Historical Society has a cannon ball made at

Taunton on display in the museum at Kirby's Mill.

An iron furnace used bog iron ore, or limonite, that forms

naturally along the edges of streams and in swamps in the

Pine Barrens. The ore was dug out, floated on boats to the

furnace, crushed into small pieces and dried. The raw

materials ­ ore, charcoal and lime in the form of crushed

oyster or clam shells ­ were dumped into the top of the

chimney of the furnace. A fire of 3000 degrees melted the

heavy iron, which sank to the bottom of the chimney and

flowed out into shallow trenches under the casting shed. The

two rows of cooled metal were known as "pig iron bars."

Each bar was as thick and as long as a man's arm and

weighed about 60 pounds. Some of the molten iron was

ladled into molds to form pots, pans, stoves, firebacks,

water pipes and dozens of other cast iron objects.







The ironworks at Taunton was purchased in 1830 by Cox,

Longworth and Company. It operated for a few more years

before it went out of blast permanently.

Joseph Hinchman inherited the Taunton property in 1847.

He converted more than 2000 acres into a huge cranberry

growing area.




70 Christopher's Mill Road



photo circa 1940


The original Hoot Owl property was built in 1772.

It is now known as "Sandy Run." This 2-_ story, 3 bay

brick farmhouse is a fine example of construction during

the Colonial Era. Ongoing restoration by several recent

owners has preserved this fine landmark.

The property was a notorious hangout for a gang of

bootleggers during Prohibition in the 1920's.




Himmelein Road

John Goslin established a sawmill at this site circa 1720.

A gristmill was added before David Oliphant purchased the

mill complex and 3750 acres of timberland in 1763.

An economic depression in 1768 caused the Oliphant's

Mill property to go up for public sale. It was acquired by







Samuel Coles of old Gloucester County, which in those

days included Cherry Hill and bordered on the original old

Evesham Township. Coles willed it to his granddaughters,

Ann, Rachel and Martha Newbold, who hired David Oliphant

and his son, Jonathan, to stay on as the millers. In 1821, grandson Shinn Oliphant took  title and once again a member of the family owned the "home mill." In all, five generations of Oliphants were associated with the mill as owners or as manager/operators for over ninety years. The gristmill, sawmill and icehouse at Oliphant's Mill

served long and useful lives before they closed in 1906.



Oliphant's Sawmill, circa 1905


Rafts of lumber were floated from Oliphant's sawmill on

the South West Branch of the Rancocas Creek to Lumberton.

There the wood was tranferred to barges and shipped to

Philadelphia, New York and other large cities on the East

Coast. Early frame houses in Medford were built with oak

timbers, pine or cedar boards and roofed with cedar shingles,

all sawed at Oliphant's and several other local sawmills.








North of the jug handle at Stokes and Jackson Roads

Benjamin Thomas was granted a license in 1775 to

keep one of the first taverns in our area at this hamlet,

known then as Cross Keys and by 1859 called Fairview.

A tavern was important in those early days as a center

for exchanging news and holding meetings and as a resting

place for weary travelers and their horses. At Cross Keys

 in 1847, Samuel Thackara founded a mill that crushed

charcoal. Production of various degrees of fineness averaged

100 bushels per day. Pulverized charcoal was used in the

making of gunpowder and whiskey and to polish brass and

copper products. By the early 1900s most of the timberland

in our area had been cut. The scarcity of wood for making

charcoal contributed to the closing of the mill by Thackara's

son shortly before World War I.  Most of the village of Crosskeys/Fairview has been lost to development in recent years.




Branin Road

Adonijah Peacock served the colonial government as a

justice in the Court of Quarter Sessions and for seven years

as deputy Surveyor-General. In 1759 he surveyed the land

in Indian Mills that became Brotherton Reservation.

A blacksmith by trade, Peacock had a farm here where

he also operated his small one-man powder mill, attached

to the fireplace in his kitchen. The Quartermaster of

Washington's Army at Valley Forge sent Peacock a bad

batch of black powder to be reprocessed and dried. Some-

thing went wrong on that fateful day in January 1777.

The explosion was heard at a distance of ten miles. Adonijah

was killed, his house was destroyed and several of his

family members were injured.




20 Mill Street

This site was the beginning of navigation on the South

West Branch of the Rancocas in the 1700's, when the creek

was much deeper and wider than it is today. At this landing







barges started their trips to Philadelphia and other large

East Coast cities loaded with cargoes that included charcoal

and products from the iron furnaces and the glassworks.

Before there were roads to transport goods by wagon, it

was very important that the waterways remained open. In

order to hire men with teams of oxen to remove fallen logs

and sunken barges from the creek, the Pioneer Navigation

Act of 1768 ordered that tolls be collected. One shilling

was charged for a raft of timber, two shillings for a barge

of iron or charcoal and six pence for a raft of nails.




Union Street

Most of the settlers of Medford were members of the

Religious Society of Friends. The honest and considerate

treatment of the Lenape Indians by the Quakers was

outstanding and their friendly relationships were a bright chapter in local history. Medford was known until 1874 as Upper

Evesham. The first Quaker Meeting in Upper Evesham was established in 1759. The first Meeting House was built here in 1762.

as it was in 1821

Union Fire Company was constructed on the site in 1821 by

Barzilla Braddock and Shinn Oliphant. A 1969 replica built

by the Medford Historical Society can be seen there now.








30 Jennings Road

The Nail House has been in three locations and it

has served as a store, a smithy, a nail factory and a home. The

building stood originally at the corner of Main Street and

Friends Avenue. Before the American Revolution it had a

small blacksmith shop with two forge fires where molded

bullets for the Continental Army were later made.

Mark Reeve owned the property in the early 1800s. He

developed there the first machinery for the mass production

of headed cut nails. It was operated by horse power.

Later the Nail House was moved to Cherry Street.

By the mid-1900s, the owner of the badly run-down building

was Evelyn Belcher, a retired school teacher. She gave it to

the late Dr. Edward Jennings with the agreement that it would

be moved and restored by him. Circa 1955, he relocated

it to Jennings Road and enlarged it to its present size.

More about Mark Reeve: After visiting and admiring

Medford, Massachusetts, he successfully promoted that name

for our township. Reeve was also Medford's first real estate

developer. Circa 1810, he purchased ninety-two acres of

farmland, mapped out streets, divided the land and sold the

first building lots in historic Medford Village.








40 Jennings Road

In the bricks of the west wall of this beautifully restored

farmhouse are 1785, the year it was built, and BW, the

initials of the builder. The style and general features of

the smaller east section of the house suggest that it is from

an earlier date, probably the 1760s. The façade is Flemish

bond decorated with a pattern of darker glazed brick.




271 Route 541

This 1732 home is a special example of an early American

brick farmhouse. The smaller section was a later addition.

The building is located at the end of the _ mile-long lane beside

the English Setter Club sign on the west side of Route 541.

The property remained in the Wilkins family until the

English Setter Club of America bought it in the early

1900s. Two of the well-known persons who have attended

and participated in field trials here were Ty Cobb in 1927

and later Clark Gable.








206 Church Road

James Still was born in 1812 in Indian Mills, the son of

runaway slaves. In his 1877 autobiography, Early Recollec-

tions and the Life of Dr. James Still, he wrote of overcoming

many personal trials and difficulties during his lifetime.

With less than three months of formal education at Brace

Road School, the "Black Doctor of the Pines" taught himself

how to make herbal medicines. In this office Dr. Still gave out

his famous remedies to patients who came from miles around.

Dr. Still's office and Victorian home in the 1880s.







Eventually Dr. Still became a major landowner in the

Crossroads area, including a nearby hotel that he used as a

hospital for patients who were too sick to return home. His

large Victorian residence was next door to the office on a

plot of land that is now a horse paddock. He died in 1885

and is buried in the cemetery behind Jacobs Chapel on

Elbo Lane in Mount Laurel.

Dr. James Still's office was entered on the New Jersey

Register and National Register of Historic Places in 1995.




Church Road

In 1773 Isaac Haines and several others petitioned the New

Jersey Assembly to allow construction of a dam, a gristmill and a

sawmill on the South Branch of the Rancocas Creek. The

mill complex was completed in 1778. It operated for eighty

four years under Haines family ownership until 1866.

William Kirby bought the property in 1877 and operated

it with his younger brother, Charles H. Kirby. A century ago

it was a thriving industrial center with a wheelwright shop,







blacksmith shop, two sawmills, shingling mill, carding mill

and cider mill, all clustered around the big gristmill.

Kirby's Mill was the last commercial, water-powered mill

in New Jersey. It was converted to electric power in 1961.

The property was purchased in 1969 by the Medford

Historical Society, which has worked for more than thirty

years to preserve, restore and develop it into an important

museum site. Kirby's Mill was entered on the New Jersey
and National Registers of Historic Places in 1971.




26 Fostertown Road

This farmhouse is the oldest home in Medford Township

and it is the earliest frame dwelling in Burlington County

still on its original stone foundation. It was built on land

patented to the builder's father, Richard Haines, by the

Duke of York (later King James II) on April 21, 1682.

The west side of the house is the earliest section, built

by John Haines prior to 1690. His son, Jonathan Haines,

added the east section in 1720. Another Haines "modernized"

it in 1808 and still another Haines added a wraparound

section circa 1840.







The property remained in the Haines family until 1919.

A direct descendant of John Haines purchased the farm in

1972. Two different owners have seen a "resident ghost."

The home was listed on the New Jersey and National

Registers of Historic Places in June 1976.




Corner of Eayrestown/Sandtown Roads

The Sandtown area contains several homes that date to

the 1700's. Elizabeth Collins, a pioneer Quaker minister with

the Union Street Friends Meeting, and her husband Job lived

here circa 1775 in a house that is still occupied nearby.

Because many generations of the Prickett family lived

in this area, the hamlet was also known as Prickettown.

Historic members of the family include: John Prickett, the

first sawyer at Braddock's Mill; Nathan Prickett, a teacher

at Brace Road School; another John Prickett, owner of the

chair parts factory in Chairville; and Stacy Prickett, well-to-do

owner of the Federal-style brick home at 23 Branch Street

and proprietor of a general store on South Main Street.




Chairville Road, north of Route 70

Adonijah Peacock lies here among many of his

contemporaries and descendents. His headstone reads:


Born Aug. 5, 1724.

Killed 1777 by explosion

While making powder

For Gen. Washington.

Remaining here are many early brick gravestones.

They were often made and inscribed by the families of the

deceased and then fired locally. The cemetery is still owned

by the Peacock family and burials continue to take place.








South Main Street

One of Medford's best known industries was the

glassworks that operated under various names for nearly

90 years. It began in 1825 as a Farmers Co-op that made

window panes. The Cochrane Company produced fancy

tableware and Yarnall & Trimble made blown bottles.

Medford Glass was followed by Star Glass in 1887.

Star Glassworks specialized in mouth blown bottles

of many types, including perfume, medicine and whiskey

bottles. They were usually made in wooden molds supplied

by the buyer. Several Star Glass bottles are on display on

the second floor of the museum at Kirby's Mill.  

Star Glass Factory circa 1900

Foreman John Mingin was highly respected for his

glass industry expertise. Under his management Star Glass

prospered for 35 years.

When the employees formed a union in 1923, Mingin

was told he could not rebuild the factory unless he

became a union member. He refused to join and proceeded

with the project. The workers went on strike and John

Mingin and his two partners closed Star Glass for good.

One windy day in the 1940s the tall brick stack crashed to

the ground with a thunderous roar.








106 Tuckerton Road

The Christopher's Mill tract of several thousand acres

was purchased in London in 1678 by William Hewlings.

Power to operate a sawmill was provided by damming

Barton's Run. A daughter of John Hewlings, a descendent of

Willam, married John Merriman Christopher in 1821. Since

then the property has been known as Christopher's Mill.

Nothing remains today of the old dam, the sawmill

and the sawyer's house. The present house was built in

1843 to replace an earlier home that had burned down.




Stokes Road, Medford Lakes

Aetna furnace was built by Charles Read in 1766. It

went into blast about a year earlier than its sister

furnace and forge at Taunton. The 9000-acre site included

a sawmill, a gristmill and a smithy. The financial collapse

of Read's iron empire forced the furnace to close in 1773.

The Aetna land was sold in 1926 to a developer and later

it became Medford Lakes.

Charles Read was born in Philadelphia in 1715. After

finishing his education in London, he joined the British Navy

and was sent to the West Indies. At age 22 he married the

daughter of a wealthy merchant on the island of Antigua.

Read and his bride settled in Burlington where he began

a distinguished career in public office. By 1759 he was one of

the most influential politicians of the Colonial Era. Charles

Read's many accomplishments are recorded in Ploughs and

Politicks, a 1941 biography by Carl Raymond Woodward.

After his ironworks went bankrupt, Read lived from

1770 to 1773 with his son, Charles, Jr., in the ironmaster's

house on Stokes Road in Medford Lakes. In the early 1950s

the home was demolished and replaced by a gas station.

Charles Read spent the final year of his life as a shop-

keeper in Martinsburg, NC. He died there in 1774. Sadly,

no members of Read's family attended the funeral when

he was buried in North Carolina in an unmarked grave.








272 Church Road

This attractive brick home was built in 1785 by Nehemiah

Haines, who was born in 1755 when Medford was still part

of old Evesham Township. He died in 1805 and is buried

in the Union Street Friends Burial Ground. The dwelling

remained in the Haines family until 1866.

William Kirby bought the Haines mill property in

1877. The home is known as the "miller's house," because

many owners of the Haines/Kirby's Mill lived here. It

was included when Kirby's Mill was entered on the New

Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in 1971.




33 North Main Street

George Haines, M.D. was the first registered physician

in Medford. He built this 2 story, five bay colonial-style

home for his bride in 1826. The original house had two

rooms on each floor with servants' quarters in the finished

attic. At the north and south ends of the attic level there

are fan shaped quarter windows.







A detached summer kitchen with a storeroom also dated

from 1826. At least two additions were made in the mid-

1800's. There is still some original hardware in place and all

the floors are original random-width New Jersey pine.

An historic survey in the 1970's uncovered evidence that

the home was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad.




51 Union Street

This Haines farmhouse was built in several stages.

The front with a Flemish Bond brick façade was the original

part, built circa 1760 for Jonathan Haines. His grandson,

also Jonathan, built the rear addition in 1820 and made

other alterations such as the dormer windows in the front.

The home remained in the Haines family until 1917.

At one time this farm property included the entire north

side of Union Street. Some lots were sold to outsiders and

other lots were built upon by the many Haines children.

Through the 1990s, the owners of this home were the late

Mr. and Mrs. Ephraim Tomlinson II. Many comments in this

booklet are from notes that "Eph" made and shared with all

who were interested in genealogy and the history of Medford.








Jones Road near Union Street


Haines/ Coachley/Singer House circa 1940


This home from the early 1700s is said to be the oldest

standing wooden frame dwelling in Medford Village. It faces

south, a feature often found in early Quaker farmhouses.

The 2 story, gable roofed house was built in two parts.

The earlier west portion consists of a three bay, side hall plan.

The four bay second section to the east extends the lines of

the first portion. An Italianate veranda was added circa 1850.

The home is on a large piece of land, including the land

where the Public Safety Building is located. Before Route 70

was constructed in the 1930s, the cows from this farm grazed

on Haines land that is now north of the highway.

The Haines family sold the property to the Cochley's

who farmed here during the 1960s. It was owned next by

the Singer family and then by a local developer.

In the 1990s this historic home was purchased by

Medford Township. Plans are on the books to restore it

for use as Senior Citizen housing.








70 South Main Street

This 2 story, 5 bay, center hall house is thought to have

been the home of Mark Stratton who died in 1759, making it

one of the earliest homes in Medford Village. It has a gabled

slate roof and the façade features a Flemish bond brick

pattern. Above the second floor is a single belt course of brick

originally for a pent roof. Braddock's Insurance was here

before it was sold and relocated to 22 North Main Street.

This home was listed in 1982 by the Heritage Studies

Survey as a Key Building, because of its value to the

historical character of Medford Village.




51 South Main Street

The land on which this home was built was originally

part of about 200 acres purchased in 1707 by Richard

Braddock, who had recently arrived from England.

The 2 story, five bay, center hall, gable roofed house

was built in 1785 by shopkeeper, John Riley. It has a

Flemish bond brick façade and a two-part belt course of

bricks between the first and second floors.







Mr. Riley died in 1814 and his son James rented the

home to Benjamin Haines in 1832. Isaac Haines later

purchased the property for $750. It was sold many times

before Samuel Garwood became the owner in 1896.

Three generations of the Garwood family lived here

until J. Stanley Braddock, Jr., bought the property in 1960.

He is a descendent of Richard Braddock, who originally

owned the land two-and-a-half centuries earlier.

It was designated a Key House in the 1982 Heritage

Studies Survey of Medford Village.




63-65 South Main Street

This is a 2 story, six bay, gable roofed home in

Greek Revival style. It was built in 1841.

During the mid-1800's, the first floor was a general store

run by William Dyer and William Braddock. They sold

everything from salt pork to flints, cheese, mints, tobacco,

garden tools, clothing, snuff, perfume and liquor. In 1838

coffee cost 13 cents a pound; sugar, 7 cents; and meat, 5 cents

.Men's trousers or a pair of shoes could be bought for $1.00.







In the 1870s, William Dyer owned the beverage license for

Glover's Hotel, which was then the name of Braddock's

Tavern. In 1999, a great-grandson of William Dyer and

a great-granddaughter of Rebecca Coles Glover, the owner

of Glover's Hotel, were both involved with the Medford

Historic Advisory Board.




Stokes Road, opposite Himmelein Road

On January 25, 1813, this acre of land was purchased

from Enoch and Hannah Stratton for $104 by the Township

Committee of old Evesham. The committee members were

John Jessup, John Borton, Job Collins, Jr., Joseph Haines

and Joseph Evans. The deed stated that the land was to

be used "for a public burying place for the use and benefit

of the inhabitants of the Township of Evesham and for no

other use or purpose whatsoever."

At the time of this purchase there were two Friends Burial

Grounds in Evesham ­ one on Union Street in Medford and

the other on Hainesport Road in Mount Laurel, which back

then was still part of old Evesham Township. Additionally,

there was the Peacock Cemetery in Chairville. The late







Ephraim Tomlinson II pointed out in his 1992 study of this

cemetery that, if the deceased were not a Quaker or a Peacock,

the only place a person could be buried was in a forgotten

corner of the family farm. In 1813 this new Stratton Burying

Ground solved that problem for many local families.

When Medford was separated in 1847 from old

Evesham Township, the cemetery became Medford

property. At the suggestion of the Historic Advisory Board,

the fencing at the cemetery was installed for Medford's

Sesquicentennial Celebration in 1997.




205 Route 541

This home was built by Ephraim Stratton between the

late 1700s and 1830. Crossroads was then the social, political

and business center of the original Evesham Township.

Therefore, rather than being a farmhouse, the tollhouse is

a saltbox-style home typical of a small town.

It served for a time as a homefor the toll collector on the

turnpike between Medford and Lumberton. The building

was restored in 1969 and is in very good condition.








.South Main Street and South Street

The Society of Friends was split apart in 1827 by a

theological controversy. Those Quakers who followed the

beliefs of Elias Hicks built this Meeting House in 1842.

The property included a burying ground to the north and

to the south a one-room Quaker schoolhouse at 23 South

Street. The school closed in 1907 and was converted to

a private home in 1951.

The brick on the main façade of the Meeting House is

in the Flemish bond pattern and the rest is built of an

eight course American design. The windows are six over six

in the front and twelve over twelve on the rear wall. All the

doors are double and the main entrances, one for men and

one for women, have porches with very plain pedimented

Greek Revival traces.

The Medford Friends were reunited under one Yearly

Meeting in 1955. As a result of the split, Haddonfield and

Moorestown also had two Meeting Houses for many years.




Corner of Fostertown Road and Church Road







This simply detailed, 1 story, three bay wide frame

house with a shed roofed porch across the front was built

in the late 1700s. It may have been a tenant house onthe Jonathan Haines farm. Jonathan was one of the men who petitioned the

NewJersey Assembly for permission to build a dam, a gristmill

and a sawmill on the land bordering the South Branch of

the Rancocas Creek, "one end abutting on the land of the

said Jonathan Haines." In 1778, the mill was completed and

started operations. This building became the home of the

sawmill foreman and therefore was called the Sawyer's House.

Kirby's Mill was entered on the New Jersey and National

Registers of Historic Places in 1971. The Sawyer's House,

being part of the mill property, was included in the nom-

ination, which was researched by the late Clyde LeVan.




Corner of Church Road and Route 541

From the 1690's to 1847, old Evesham Township was

one of Burlington County's largest townships. It included:

Upper Evesham (Medford); Lower Evesham (Mount Laurel);

the southern portion of Lumberton known as Fostertown;

part of Hainesport south of the Rancocas Creek; half of

Shamong including Indian Mills; and Marlton, the only

part of the old original Evesham Township still known by

that name today.

The seat of government of this huge township was at

the hamlet of Crossroads located on the road to Mount Holly

about one mile north of what is now Medford Village.

At Crossroads there was a town hall, a store, a hotel and

a cluster of other buildings, including the tollhouse.

That area includes land in the shape of two triangles.

One is bordered by Route 541, Wilkins Station Road and

Church Road. The other is formed by Route 541, Church

Road and Brace Boad, a quiet sand road until it was paved

in 1997. The points of the two triangles touch at the main

Crossroads intersection like the figure of an hourglass.








89 North Main Street

This home was built in 1908 by Aaron Darnell on a lot

that he purchased for $630. Restrictions in the deed stated

that "the said Aaron Darnell, his heirs and assigns are not

to erect any building nearer than 60 feet to the center of

N. Main Street and that there shall in reasonable time be

erected a dwelling house costing not less than $2500."

Albert and Anna Kirby lived here from 1925 to 1952.

He was born in 1876, the oldest of nine children of William

Kirby, who had purchased the Haines-Kirby's Mill property

on Church Road in 1877.Albert Kirby and his eight

siblings were raised in the"miller's house" across thestreet

from the water-powered gristmill. He first attended Eastern

School at the corner of Eayrestown and Church Roads,

next the Filbert Street School and finally Peddie Institute in Hightstown. Albert learned the milling trade at Kirby's Mill.

From 1920 to 1945, Albert operated Kirby Brothers feed

store on North Main Street while his brother Charles W.

ran the historic gristmill on Church Road. For many years

Albert was Sunday School superintendent and a trustee at

the Methodist Church. He headed the Medford Grange

and the Masons and he was also president of the Medford

Building and Loan.




85 North Main Street

Joseph H. Haines paid $976 in 1911 for adjacent lots on

which he had identical houses built for his twin sons, Maurice

and Everett. They worked in the family business, J. Haines

and Sons, on Tidswell Avenue where coal, lumber, trucks,

tractors and farm supplies were sold. Unable to tell the twins

apart, customers called both of them "Maurice-Everett."







Maurice and Jeanette Haines lived in this home from

1911 to 1974. He was the chief from 1916 to 1924 of Union Fire

Company and the treasurer from 1928 to 1929. He served on

the Medford Township Committee and as the mayor. Jeanette

Haines was a highly regarded Quaker minister and First

Day School teacher at the Union Street Friends Meeting.

The identical homes of the Haines brothers




83 North Main Street

Everett Haines lived in this home from 1911 until his

death in 1965. A common driveway was shared with his twin,

Maurice, who lived in the identical house next door.

Active in community and civic affairs, Everett was

a Boy Scout leader and an original director in 1905 of

Camp Ockanickon. He was president of Union Fire Company

in 1917 and secretary from 1918 to 1921 and he served as a

director of the Medford Building and Loan.

The Haines brothers were honored in 1961 when the

Maurice and Everett Haines School on Stokes Road was

named for them.








40 North Main Street

This center hall, five bay, Greek Revival-style brick home was

built in 1844 by Dr. Henry P. Ely. The two-sided mansard roof

has three dormers, each with an individual arched roof.

The front entrance has a three bay, one story porch with

columns and a similar two bay porch is on the south wall.

The 1982 Heritage Studies Survey states that this well

maintained and landscaped house is a landmark presence

in Medford Village.

Henry Ely practiced medicine with Dr. Josiah Reeve,

who lived two properties away at 50 North Main Street.

Henry's wife, Mary Reeve Ely, was Josiah's aunt. After

Mary Ely was widowed, Josiah Reeve built for her the

large Victorian home at 66 North Main.




13 Branch Street

Albert Ballinger was a lifelong resident of Medford. He

is remembered as a paperhanger by trade. Albert and his

wife, Belle, built this Sears Roebuck house in 1911. It is

original, except that the front porch was enclosed in the

early 1920s.







For $950 Sears Roebuck provided pre-cut lumber,

flooring, and woodwork; nails and hardware; plumbing

and heating; light fixtures, wavy window glass and several

panes of stained "art glass"; built-in sideboard, pantry and

medicine case; a barrel of stain for the cedar siding and

more. All materials were shipped from the Midwest on two

freight cars on the railroad line that ran through Mount

Holly to Medford from 1869 until 1976. Including labor, the

total cost to build this home in 1911 was just under $2100.

It is the only Sears Roebuck house in Medford Township.




1 North Main Street

This three-story, five-bay, frame hotel with a flat roof

was constructed by Richard Reeve in 1810. Tavern operator,

Samuel Hartman, chose the name because it was built on

the site of a lodge of a Lenape chief.

After two railroad lines came to Medford in 1869

And 1889, the hotel served large numbers of patrons ­

Including hunters in season, vacationers and traveling

salesmen, known then as "drummers." Stables and carria

ge sheds behind the tavern were torn down when cars came

into common use in the 1920s. During Prohibition the hotel

was closed and sold.








The Indian Chief Hotel, circa 1910

In recent times the property was renamed the Stagecoach

Stop. It was renovated by Frank Salicondro and now is

used as a restaurant and shops.




Corner of Union Street and Allen Avenue

This 1875 Gothic Revival-style, one and a half story

church was used for worship services until 1958.







The building's exterior is board and batten. The bell

tower on the north side has a tall steeple with fishscale

slate roof shingles. The lancet windows on the first level

are made of stained glass. A rose window decorated with

radiating rose-like tracery is in the upper west wall.

On the occasion of his donation of an organ in 1898


John Wanamaker, the well-known Philadelphia clothier,

came to Medford to speak to the congregation.

The exterior was not changed when the building served

as chiropratic offices for the late Doctor A. H. Scheibner from

1959 to 1992. Recent renovations by his daughter have

transformed the former church into a charming residence.

They include an addition in the late 1990s of a handmade,

circular oak staircase leading up to the second floor.




9 South Main Street

This three bay brick home with a two story front porch and

two dormers was built by Isaac Stokes circa 1813. Part of the

upper level of the porch has been made into a sunroom.

Careful restoration was completed in the year 2000, including

expert cleaning and repointing of the Flemish bond brickwork.








60 South Main Street

Owen Stratton, a Quaker, was born on his family's

farm south of Medford Village in 1769. He purchased this

2-_ story, gable roofed, frame home circa 1835 in order to

be closer to the Friends Meeting House on Union Street. The

home has five bays with a center door on the first floor

and three bays on the second level.




100 South Main Street

This large farmhouse was built circa 1840. Dr. Braddock

became the owner in 1875. He practiced medicine here

for the next 25 years.

The 1880 census lists four persons in his household:

Richard Braddock, 26, Physician; Emma F., 23, Wife,

Keeping House; Chas. H. Bishop, 18, Laborer; and Sarah

Stockton, 16, Servant. After Emma's death at age 27 in

1884, he married Eva S. Braddock.

In 1883 the doctor was the president of Union Telegraph

Company. He served in 1897 as the president of Union

Fire Company and as the chief from 1899 to 1901.







James and Mary Harriett of Brooklyn, NY, purchased

the property in 1908 for $2150. The home was divided into

a duplex after World War I. A Harriett descendent sold it

in the year 2000. Restorations include conversion back to

a single dwelling. In the near future the front porch will

be rebuilt as it appears in a photograph from the 1890s.




69 North Main Street

Since its construction in 1881 this building has had

four different uses. Originally it was the passenger station for

the Philadelphia, Marlton and Medford Railroad, a 12-mile

spur off the West Jersey Seashore Line.

For many decades before there were buses and cars,

salesmen and hunters came to town on this train. In addition

to carrying passengers and mail on the one round-trip

daily, the P. M. & M. Railroad took local farm and dairy

products to markets in Camden and Philadelphia.

The spur from Haddonfield to Medford was discontinued

in 1931. Route 70 was constructed in the mid 1930s on the

bed of the abandoned P. M. & M. tracks.








The P.M.&M. Station circa 1910


For the next thirty years, the structure was a freight station

for Penn Central's 7-mile long Mount Holly-Medford line.

It was purchased by Medford township in 1960 and, after

renovation, served as Police Headquarters until the Public

Safety Building on Union Street opened in 1993. In recent

years it has been used for doctors' offices.




58 North Main Street

This late Victorian house was built by Joseph Allen in

1896 on a lot purchased from Mark Reeve, Medford's first

realtor. It was the first home in Medford to have indoor

plumbing and a bathroom. Other conveniences were a

sewing room and a dumbwaiter from the dining room to

the bedroom above.

An interesting restriction in the deed reads: "Joseph C.

Allen has the privilege of using the alley in the rear leading

from Cedar Street, upon the condition that said J. Allen

is to close the gate coming to and from said lot."

When the building was renovated for a funeral home in

1957, care was taken to maintain its historical integrity.

All furnishings on the first floor are Victorian antiques,

including Mr. Allen's desk which was made in Philadelphia

in 1896, the same year the house was built.








56 North Main Street

Joseph Bowker built his 2-_ story Queen Anne-style home

in 1876 on a lot for which he paid $300. The exterior is

clapboard at the first level with fishscale shaped shingles

above. A two story bay window is located on the left side

of the front and a three-story tower is on the north wall.

In the early 1900's Bertha Weeks, principal of a school

in Collingswood, lived here with her sister, Sadie Bowker.

After having been widowed, Mrs. Bowker usually had several

railroad workers and school teachers boarding with her.

Eleanor Rush was a boarder here in 1916 during her

first year of teaching at the one-room Brace Road

School. Each day Miss Rush walked 1_ miles to the school

at the corner of Church and Ark Roads. That year on

Valentine's Day it snowed so hard that the schoolhouse door

was blocked by drifts. At the end of the day Miss Rush

had to jump out through a window.




50 North Main Street







This 2 story Victorian house was built by Dr. Josiah

Reeve in 1876. He practiced medicine with his uncle,

Dr. Henry P. Ely, who lived two doors south in Ely Hall, the

large brick house at the corner of Main and Cedar Streets.

W. Roland Dunn of Palmyra was the first dentist in

Medford. He came to town on Monday and Wednesday of

each week. From the 1930s to the mid 1950s, Doctor Dunn

rented an office and a waiting room in this home at 50 North

Main Street. The lady of the house, Mrs. Helen Kirby, took

phone calls and scheduled appointments for his patients.




19 Branch Street

Built circa 1860, this 2 story, five bay, central hall

Victorian home was originally a single residence. Later it

was divided into a two-family dwelling.

Milton H. Allen and his former teacher, Joseph Jones,

used the house in the early 1870s as a private boarding school.

Taken over in 1874 by the trustees of the newly formed

school district, it served briefly as Medford's first fully free

public school. Enrollment soon outgrew the building and the

students were moved to the Grange Hall on Bank Street

until the Filbert Street School opened in September 1876.






Prickett's Express operated from the living room of this

home between 1925 and 1950. When passenger service on the

Mount Holly to Medford train was discontinued in 1926,

Granville and Bill Prickett bought two buses to transport

Medford's teenagers to Mount Holly High School.




22 Branch Street

In 1830, this 2-_ story, three bay,  Federal-style brick

home was constructed for Stacy Prickett. He was a well-to-do

merchant who owned a general store on South Main Street.

The T­wing was added to the back of the house in 1850.

The granite foundations are two-foot thick and most of

the framing is four-inch square timbers made of oak.

The iron hitching posts are from the 1890s and the walkways

are thought to be the only original slate sidewalks still

existing in Medford.

Miss Elizabeth Cowperthwait owned this home during

the first half of the 1900s. For over thirty years she was

the eighth grade teacher-principal of the Filbert Street School

and Milton H. Allen School, until her retirement in 1939.

She was a stern disciplinarian and was known for being very

particular about proper grammar and correct spelling.








47 Branch Street

Dating from circa 1815, this small home of saltbox

design was the first house on Branch Street. It was built

by Henry Stackhouse for his son, Harry.

Other homes on Branch Street constructed by members

of the Stackhouse family are #41, a duplex at #43-#45 and

#68, a dwelling built circa 1870 by Benjamin Stackhouse

for his son, Henry.




Branch Street

Although written records for this graveyard were

not kept in the early days, interments are thought to have

started in the 1820s. The oldest legible marker, that of

Achsail Conner, is dated 1836. Several ministers of the

adjacent Methodist Episcopal Church are buried here, the

earliest being Reverend James Moore who died in 1842.

Many plots in this cemetery belong to historic Medford

families. Among them are plots of the Allen, Bowker,

Braddock, Foster, Kirby, Kirkbride, Oliphant, Peacock,

Prickett and Stackhouse families.








Corner of South Main and Trimble Streets

Four of the Ten Houses on Trimble Street

The 22 workers' houses on Trimble and Mill Streets

included 2-_ story duplexes, 2 story singles and 1-_ story

cottages. Corner fireplaces provided heat and water was

carried from two outdoor hand pumps. Candles were used

for light, rather than kerosene lamps that attracted bugs

from nearby swamps - now Medford Park. Records from the

late 1800s show that monthly rent was $1.50 for a house on

Mill Street and $5.00 to $6.00 for a house on Trimble.




108 Himmelein Road

The original Oliphant farmhouse was built near Oliphant's

sawmill between 1810 and 1815. During the Revolutionary

War, Captain Jonathan Oliphant's cavalry pastured their

horses here on the mill property.

The Oliphant Tract of over 3600 acres was reduced to

250 acres in 1902 and became known as Sunny Jim farm.








Corner of Falls Road and Taunton Boulevard

In the 1920's Lake Pine was called "Spirit Vale" from

the mist that rose off the surface of the water early in the


A deed conveyed the land to a development company in

1924. The cranberry bogs were dredged to make a mile-long

lake. A bathhouse was provided for swimmers and boaters.

Building lots were sold and the construction of log cabins

for summer residents began. Medford Township improved

Taunton Road from a sandy surface to gravel in 1926.

Many cabins were winterized during the 1950s and

Lake Pine became a year-round community.




Chairville Road, north of Route 70 ­ Skeet Rd. south of Rt. 70

In the 1790s Jonathan Peacock's sawmill was in operation

here. By the 1840s a two-story turning mill with steam

powered lathes was making legs, rungs and spindles from

maple trees cut in the area. The chair parts were carted to

Philadelphia to be assembled. Near the factory were owner

John Prickett's farm, the worker's houses and two general

stores. The chair parts factory burned down in 1874. No

traces remain of the sawmill, which closed circa 1890.

Chairville School operated here until 1900. It was the first

of the Township's four rural one-room schools to close. The

school district provided a horse-drawn wagon to transport

children from Chairville to the Filbert Street School.

Methodist services were held in a chapel built in 1897

at the corner of Route 70 and Chairville Road. Circa 1905

the Chairville Sunday School Class donated a stained glass

window with a Lamb of God motif to the Methodist Church on

Branch Street. That window remains today on the second

level of the façade of the church. In the 1920s the chapel

was sold and converted to a summer home. It has been

occupied in recent years by several small businesses.








Southwest corner of Church and Eayrestown Roads

Eastern School was established in the 1800s by the

Upper Evesham Friends Meeting located on Union Street.

The teacher in 1846 was Joseph Jones and Milton H. Allen

was his prize student.

When Professor Jones resigned in 1854, Milton Allen

became the teacher at 16, the same age as some of his

oldest students. In addition to teaching, Milton had to tend

the fire in the cast iron stove, provide the firewood and

arrange for water to be carried from a nearby farm.

In 1901, Eastern School was sold for $85 and removed

to an another location. The original one-room Kirby's Mill

School was then built on the very same site.

Kirby's Mill School was operated by the Medford Public

School District. Each year the District paid $10.00 ground

rent to the Union Street Friends Meeting.

Kirby's Mill School was closed in 1918 and moved to a

farm farther east on Church Road for use as tenant house.

It burned down late one night in the winter of 1948.




Corner of Church and Ark Roads

The earliest of Medford's rural one-room schools was

Brace Road School. Nathan Prickett was the teacher when

James Still, later known as the "Black Doctor of the Pines,"

attended here for three months during the winter of 1832.

Helen Johnson was a student at Brace Road School in

the early 1900s. She wrote that it was "a drab, curtainless

room with whitewashed walls, no maps, one or two reference

books, a closet for storage of such texts as were available

and another closet for storage of lunch boxes. The entrance

room provided hooks for coats and caps and the bench for

the drinking system - a bucket of water and a dipper."

The exterior of the building was painted gray. Two

little outhouses, one for boys and the other for girls, were

located inconspicuously in the back.







The teacher in 1906 was Anna Allen. She was 17 years old

and her salary was $35.00 per month. "Miss Anna" taught

reading by the Ward Reading System and she drilled the

students in grammar, penmanship and sums. Learning to

spell was enhanced with spelling bees. The teacher sold

soap to earn maps.

Brace Road School closed in 1918. It was

Demolished in the 1980s, after having been a tenant farmer's

house for many years.




88 Charles Street

Jerome Jennings' cranberry packing house, originally a

two-story building, was built circa 1870. Empty barrels

were stored upstairs before the second level was removed.

Jennings' family tradition is that Charles Street was named

by Jerome Jennings for one of his sons.

Renovations to the building were made by the township

in the late 1960s. Ten oak pews used for seating were

donated by a fire-damaged church in Pointville near Fort

Dix. Medford's Municipal Court and Township Council

Meetings were held here until 1993.







Cranberry Hall is currently the home of the Medford

Department of Recreation. It is also used for public meetings

and occasionally for small weddings.




West side of Filbert Street, between Church and Mulberry Streets

The Filbert Street School opened in 1874. Multi-talented

Milton H. Allen is believed to have designed the building.

He was the school's first principal, head teacher, umpire

for their ball games and the janitor. Enrollment in the

1880s averaged 175 students in grades one to six.



Filbert Street School in 1910


The large classroom on the second floor was divided in

1889 to make space for a two-year high school program.

A four-room addition was built in 1907 and the curriculum

was expanded to three years. When Medford High School

was discontinued in 1917, the students rode on the train

to attend Mount Holly High School.

The Filbert Street School closed in December 1927.

Principal Bess Cowperthwait organized the move to the new

building on the first school day in January. Each student

carried his books in a sack as the teachers and children

walked three blocks to the new Milton H. Allen School.








17 Filbert Street

The original portion of this 2-_ story, two bay clapboard

home was built in 1842 by Mahlon Reeve. It was purchased

in 1874, by the Mickle family. A bay window, the first of

several additions, was added onto the south side in 1875. The

front porch with Italianate detailing was probably added at

that same time. The interior features a 1909 oak staircase.

Everett Mickle bought the home from his grandmother

in 1955. His love of Medford history resulted in preservation

of a large collection of old photos, negatives and postcards.

Copies are displayed in many public building in the area.




22 Bank Street

This is a side hall, three bay home of Georgian Vernacular

style with a semicircular fanlight above the front door. Built

in 1827 by Jacob and Mary Prickett, it is considered to be a

well preserved example of an early village type residence.

The home is reported to have a resident ghost.

For years the bricks were painted white. Recently restored,

the Flemish bond façade can once again be appreciated.








67 Union Street

This 2-_ story home was built circa 1847 for a woman

named Mary Smith. Consisting originally of three rooms,

one above the other, it was known as "The Doll House."

Old English woodwork trim in the living room, wide

pine floors and corner fireplaces in the living room and

the bedroom above are original.

In 1961, the 1-_ story addition was built onto the west

side of the house by the late owner, Jay Grooms. It

blends well with the style of the original architecture.




123 South Main Street

Unlike many other 1800s glassworks, Star Glass did not

print its own paper money known as scrip. Instead, the

workers had to buy books of credit worth $1.00, $5.00

and $10.00. They could be used only to buy food and

household goods at the company store. This system virtually

controlled the workers' lives, often causing labor unrest

and the threat of a strike.







Starr Glass Company Store circa 1890


When Star Glass shut down in 1923, the company store

became Elmer Carigan's market. Next it was Edward Wills'

grocery store, until his retirement in 1999. After extensive

renovations, it reopened in 2003 as an antiques shop.




Mill Street

Farmer and charcoal producer, Samuel Thackara,

hired his brother-in-law, Lester Gager, in 1857 to build the

one-room Cross Keys School. Lumber for the 26-foot deep

by 22-foot wide building cost $9.00. For more than a

century Cross Keys School was located at the corner of

Dixontown and Stokes Roads.

Several generations of Gager children knew the Cross

Keys School as the "Knowledge Box." In 1912 the salary

of Sallie Davis, their favorite teacher, was $35 per month.

When the school was closed in 1927, the students went to

the new Milton H. Allen School.

Before McDonald's bought the property in 1976, the

structure had been used as a home, a store and a produce

stand. When the public showed strong interest in saving

it, the Township had the little school moved to Mill Street.

By then the windows were boarded up and it had no roof.







The Medford Historical Advisory Board assumed the

task of restoring the building. Fundraisers were held to

pay for materials and labor was donated by volunteers.

They worked nearly every Saturday for the next three

years and restoration was completed in 1985.

Cross Keys School is the only one of Medford's four

rural one-room schools to have survived. It serves today

as a museum where members of the Medford Historical

Society and other volunteers present programs about the

history of the school and about the history of Medford

for groups of school children, scouts and adults.




21 Branin Road

This 2-_ story, three bay, center hall farmhouse was built

for John Peacock in the 1790s. John was the son of Adonijah,

who died nearby in a black powder explosion in 1777.

For more than two centuries this

homestead has been

in continuous use for agricultural purposes. Several

generations of the Adams family have owned the property

for more than a century. Currently Flora Lea farm is a busy

year-round equestrian center.








abut v. Border on.

adjacent adj. Next to.

alteration n. A change or modification.

Antigua n. A small island in the West Indies.

antique n. A work of art or handcraft more than 100 years old.

assemble v. Put the parts together.

assign n. A person appointed to act for another.

barge n. A large, flat-bottomed boat without power that is used to

transport freight. In earlier times, a barge was towed by mules.

bay n. A window or a door.

belt course n. A layer of brick that slightly projects at the top of

the first floor of a building.

board and batten n. A vertical siding made of boards fastened

by narrow wooden strips.

boarding v. Paying for a room and meals.

bootlegger n. A person who makes or transports alcoholic liquor

for sale illegally.

carding mill n. A workshop with machines that untangle fibers,

such as wool, before spinning.

cast v. To pour liquid metal into a mold to make specific shapes.

cavalry n. Soldiers trained to fight on horseback.

census n. A listing of the population made every ten years.

charcoal pit n. A mound composed of wood which when burned

produces charcoal.

circa prep. Around or in approximately.

clapboard n. A long narrow board with one edge thicker than the

other, overlapped to cover the outer walls of a frame house.

clothier n. A maker or sellor of clothing.

collier n. A woodsman who constructed a charcoal pit, started the

fire inside, adjusted the amount of air and raked the charcoal out.

commercial adj. Making products in large quantities for a profit.

contemporaries n. Persons of a similar age living at the same









complex n. A group of related buildings.

controversy n. A difference of opinion.

curriculum n. All the subjects taught in a school.

deceased n. A dead person.

demolish v. Tear down completely.

depression n. A time of unemployment, decreasing business and

falling prices.

dormer n. A window projecting from a sloping roof.

drab adj. Faded in appearance.

dredge v. Clean out, deepen or widen, such as a stream.

dumbwaiter n. A small elevator that carries food from one floor

to another.

duplex n. A house divided into two living units.

enhance v. Increase.

expertise n. Specialized knowledge or skill.

express n. A rapid system for the delivery of goods.

façade n. The front of a building.

fanlight n. A small window shaped like an open fan, placed above

a large window or over a door.

fateful adj. Causing death or destuction.

field trials n, Competitions for hunting dogs to judge their ability

to point and retrieve gamebirds.

fireback n. A thick cast iron plate put in the back of a fireplace

or behind a stove to protect the wall from catching on fire.

fire v. Bake until hardened in a special oven known as a kiln.

First Day n. Sunday: a name used by the Society of Friends.

Flemish bond n. A pattern of bricks used in the 1700 and 1800s that consists of alternating stretchers(bricks laid longways)and headers(bricks.laid with their short sides out).








flint n. A hard mineral that sparks when struck by metal, used in

oldtime guns to make the gunpowder ignite.

foreman n. A person in charge of a group of workers.

forge n. A shop where pig iron is heated and hammered into

wrought iron.

foundry n. A factory where melted metal is poured into molds.

gable roof n. Two slopes of a roof ending with a triangular section

of wall.

genealogy n. The study of family histories.

Georgian n. A colonial style of architecture (1700-1780) disting-

guished by paneled front doors with decorative crowns supported

by flattened pillars and single windows with nine or twelve panes

per sash.

glazed adj. Covered with a smooth, shiny surface.

Gothic Revival adj. A style of architecture (1840-1880) distin-

guished by steep gabled roofs and pointed-arch windows.

Grange n. An association of farmers founded in the United States

in 1867.

granite n. A common rock used for constructing buildings.

gravel n. A mixture of pebbles and coarse sand.

Greek Revival adj. A style of architecture (1825 ­ 1850) distin-

guished by low-pitched roofs, front porches with columns and

elaborate details around the doors and above the windows.

grist n. Any grain taken by a farmer to a mill to be ground.

gristmill n. A mill for grinding grains such as corn, wheat and rye.

hamlet n. A small town or village.

hardware n. Metal goods such as hinges and locks.

herbal adj. Containing sweet or spicy smelling plants.

hexagonal adj. Having six sides.

hollowware n. Tubular or bowl-shaped articles for the table such

as bowls, pitchers or knife handles

homestead n. A farmhouse with adjoining buildings and land.









icehouse n. A place where ice is made, stored or sold.

inconspicuous adj. Not easily noticed or seen.

inscribe v. To print letters, words or numbers on a surface

intact adj. Having all the parts.

integrity n. Staying with a strict standard.

interment n. Burial.

ironworks n. A place where iron and iron products are made.

Italianate adj. A style of architecture (1840-1885) distinguished

by low-pitched roofs, overhanging eaves supported by brackets,

tall, narrow windows, and elaborate details around the doors and

above the windows.

justice n. A judge.

keep v. To manage, tend or have charge of.

kerosene n. A thin oil product used as fuel in lamps and stoves.

ladle v. To lifted out and pour with a deep-bowled spoon, or ladle.

lancet n. A narrow pointed window with an arch shaped like

a spearhead.

landmark n. A building with historical importance.

lathe n. A machine on which a piece of wood is spun and shaped

by a fixed cutting tool.

legible adj. Able to be read.

limonite n. A yellowish-brown to black natural iron oxide used as

iron ore.

mansard roof n. A roof with two slopes on all four sides, the

lower slope being nearly vertical and the upper nearly horizontal.

Masons n. An international and charitable organization with

secret rites and signs.

Meeting House n. A building for Quaker religious services.

merchant n. A storekeeper.

miller n. A person who works in, operates or owns a grain mill.

molten adj. Melted.

motif n. A decorative design.









National Register of Historic Places n. An official list of the

historic districts, sites, buildings and objects that are significant

in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and

culture. It is overseen by the Department of the Interior.

navigation n. Travel or commercial shipping by water.

notorious adj. Known widely, usually with a bad reputation.

outhouse n. An outdoor toilet housed in a small structure.

paddock n. A fenced area near a stable.

Palladian adj. A three-part window arrangement with an arch

above and two shorter narrow windows, one on each side.

parlor n. A room in a home where visitors are entertained.

patented v. Legally granted by a deed.

pedimented adj. Having a decoration over a door or window.

pence n. Plural of penny.

pent roof n. A narrow slanted roof across the front of a building.

point v. To fill and finish the joints of brickwork with mortar or


petition v. Request formally in a written document.

produce n. Fruits and vegetables grown on a farm.

Prohibition n. The period (1920-1933) when a law prohibited the

manufacturing and selling of alcoholic beverages.

pulverized adj. Crushed to a powder or dust.

Queen Anne n. A late Victorian style of architecture (1880-1910)

distinguished by steeply pitched roofs, a one-story front porch

extending around one or both sides, use of patterned wood

shingles and a tower usually located on a corner of the building.

random width adj. Made of boards of various widths.

realtor n. A person who sells land and buildings.

renovate v. Restore to a previous condition, as by remodeling.

replica n. A copy or a reproduction.









reservation n. Land set apart by the government for the use of

Native American people.

resin n. A yellow or brown solid material produced from plants.

rose window n. A circular window, usually of stained glass.

run n. A small, fast-flowing stream.

rung n. A crosspiece between the legs of a chair.

rural n. Located in the country, often surrounded by farmland.

saltbox n. A frame house (circa 1700-1750) usually with two

stories in front, one story in back and a long steep roof in the rear.

salt pork n. Pork preserved by soaking in salt.

sawyer n. A person employed to saw wood.

scarcity n. Lack of sufficient quantity.

scrip n. A small piece of paper money issued for temporary use.

semicircular adj. In the shape of half a circle.

sesquicentennial adj. Occurring every 150 years.

shed roof n. A wide slanted roof usually above a door.

shilling n. An English coin used in the American colonies until

the early 1800's.

shingling mill n. A mill where shingles are made from wood.

sibling n. A brothers or a sister.

sideboard n. A piece of dining room furniture having drawers

and shelves for linens and tableware.

slate n. A gray rock that splits into thin, smooth pieces.

smithy n. A blacksmith shop.

snuff n. Finely ground tobacco.

sod n. Grass-covered soil held together by matted roots.

soot n. Black particles of carbon produced by burning wood.

spindle n. Vertical piece of wood on the back of a chair.

spur n. A short railroad line that feeds into a longer one.

strike n. A stoppage of work by employees demanding higher

pay and better working conditions.









surveyor n. A trained person who measures angles and distances

to determine boundaries, size and elevations of land.

tableware n. Dishes and glasses used in setting a table for a meal.

tar n. A sticky, black mixture of carbons made by burning wood

tenant n. One who pays rent and farms land owned by another.

theological n. Concerning the nature of God and religious truth.

thrive v. To flourish or to make steady progress.

timberland n. Forested land considered of commercial value.

title n. A legal document proving ownership.

tollhouse n. The toll collector's home adjoining a tollgate.

tracery n. The lacy, branching design in a Gothic window.

trade n. An occupation requiring skill.

trustee n. A person elected or appointed to a board to manage the

monies and direct the activities of an organization.

Underground Railroad n. A secret network in the United States

before 1861 that helped runaway slaves reach safety in free states

in the North or in Canada.

union n. A group of workers organized to seek better wages and

working conditions.

Upper Evesham n. The name until 1847 of Medford Township,

while it was still a part of old Evesham Township.

veranda n. A porch, usually with a roof and often partly enclosed.

vernacular n. Relating to the style of architecture typical of a

certain area.

Victorian adj. A category of massive architecture (1860 to 1910)

distinguished by mansard, gabled and other steeply pitched roofs,

bay windows and dormers, porches, towers and a wide variety of

elaborate decorative details commonly known as "gingerbread."

went into blast v. Began to operate, as an iron furnace.

went out of blast v. Stopped operating.

wheelwright n. A workman who makes and repairs wheels.









Allen family, 42

Joseph, 38

American Revolution, 6, 9, 11, 43

architecture, styles of,

Federal, 41 (illus.)

Georgian Vernacular, 48 (illus.)

Gothic Revival, 34 (illus.)-35

Greek Revival, 23-24 (illus.), 32 (illus.)

Italianate, 21 (illus.), 48

Queen Anne, 39

saltbox, 25, 42

Victorian, 14, 38, 39 (illus.)-40

Ballinger, Albert and Belle, 30

"Black Doctor of the Pines," 14, 45

Bowker family, 42

Joseph and Sadie, 39

Braddock family, 42

Brazilla, 10

J. Stanley, Jr., 23

R. S., Dr., 36-37

Richard, 22-23

William, 5, 23

Braddock's Landing, 7

Braddock's Mill, 5, 16

Brotherton Reservation, 9

Camp Ockanickon, 29

Carigan, Elmer, 50


Main Street Friends Burying Ground, 26

Methodist Church Cemetery, 42

Peacock Cemetery, 16, 25

Stratton Burying Ground, 24-25

Union Street Friends Burial Ground, 19, 24







Chairville, 15, 44, 51

Christopher's Mill, 18

Cobb, Ty, 12

Coles, Samuel, 8

Collins, Elizabeth and Job, 16

Cranberry Hall, 46 (illus.)-47

Cross Keys, 9

Crossroads, 14, 25, 27

Darnell, Aaron, 32

deed restrictions, 28, 38

Dunn, W. Roland, dentist 40

Dyer, William, 23-24 (illus.)

Ely, Henry P, Dr., 30 (illus.), 40

Mary Reeve, 30

English Setter Club, 12

Evesham Township, old, 8, 19, 24-25, 27

Fairview, 9

farmhouses, 7, 12 , 13, 15, 20, 21, 36-37, 61

(All are illustrated.)

Foster family, 42

Fostertown, 27

Gable, Clark, 12

Gager, Lester, 50

Garwood family, 23

ghosts, 16, 48

Glover, Rebecca Coles, 24

Goslin, John, 7

Grange Hall, 40

Grooms, Jay, 49









Haines family, 21

Benjamin, 23

Everett, 29

George, Dr., 19

Isaac, 14, 23

Jonathan, 15, 20, 27

John, 15

Maurice, 28

Richard, 15

Haines Mill, 14, 19, 28

Harriett, James and Mary, 37

Hartman, Samuel, 33

Heritage Studies Survey, 22, 23, 30,

Hewlings family, 18

Hinchman, Joseph, 7

houses of worship,

Chairville Chapel, 44

Friends Meeting Houses,

10 (illus.), 26, 28, 36, 45

Methodist Church, 28, 42, 44

St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 34 (illus)-35

Indian Mills, 13, 27


chair parts factory, 44

charcoaling, 5 (illus.), 9, 10

glassworks, 17 (illus.)

glassworkers' houses, 43 (illus.)

company store, 49-50 (illus.)


Aetna furnace, 5, 18

bog iron furnace, 6 (illus.)

Taunton furnace and forge, 6-7

lumbering, 5, 8 (illus.)









Jennings, Charles, 46

Edward, Dr., 11

Jerome, 46

Kirby family, 42

Albert and Anna, 28

Charles H., 15

Charles W., 28

Helen, 40

William G., 15, 19, 28

Kirby's Mill, 14 (illus.)-15, 19, 28

museum, 6, 17

Kirkbride family, 42

Lake Pine, 44

LeVan, Clyde, 27

Lumberton, 8, 25, 27

Medford Historical Society, 10, 15, 51

Medford Historic Advisory Board, 24, 25, 51

Mickle, Everett, 48

miller's house, 19 (illus.), 28


carding mill, 15

charcoal mill, 9

cider mill, 15

gristmills, 7, 14 (illus.)-15, 18

powder mill, 9

sawmill, 5, 8 (illus.), 15, 18, 44

shingling mill, 15

steam powered turning mill, 44

Mingin, John, 17







Nail House, 11 (illus.)

National Register of Historic Places, 14, 15, 16, 19, 27

oldest house,

in Medford Township, 15 (illus.)

on Bank Street, 48 (illus.)

on Branch Street, 42 (illus.)

on Filbert Street, 48

Oliphant family, 42

David, 7-8,

Jonathan, 8, 43

Shinn, 8, 10

Oliphant's Mill, 7-8 (illus.)

Peacock family, 9, 16, 42, 51

Adonijah, 9, 16, 51

John, 51 (illus.)

Philadelphia Mint, 5

Prickett family, 16, 42

Jacob and Mary, 48

John, 5, 44

Nathan, 45

Stacy, 41

Prohibition, 7, 31

Quaker ministers, 16, 28

Railroads, 37

Mount Holly-Medford Railroad, 31, 41, 47

P. M. & M. Railroad, 37-38 (illus.)

Read, Charles, 6, 18


Josiah, Dr., 30, 39 (illus.)-40









Mahlon, 48

Mark, 11, 38

Richard, 33

Riley, James, 23

John, 22

Route 70, 21, 37

Salicondro, Frank, 34

Sandtown, (Prickettown), 16

Sandy Run (Hoot Owl), 7

Sawyer's House, 26 (illus.)-27

school teachers,

Allen, "Miss Anna," 46

Allen, Milton H., 40, 45, 47

Belcher, Evelyn, 11

Cowperthwait, Elizabeth, 41, 47

Davis, Sallie, 50

Jones, Professor Joseph, 40, 45

Prickett, Nathan, 45

Rush, Eleanor, 39

Weeks, Bertha, 39


boarding school, 40

Filbert Street School, 28, 40, 41, 44, 47 (illus.)

Maurice and Everett Haines School, 29

Medford High School, 47

Milton H. Allen School, 41, 50

one-room Quaker School, 26

one-room rural schools,

Brace Road School, 16, 39, 45-46

Chairville School, 44

Cross Keys School, 50

Eastern School, 28, 45

Kirby's Mill School, 45









Sears Roebuck house, 30-31 (illus.)

Shamong, 27

Stackhouse family, 42

Stagecoach Stop, 34

Star Glass factory, 17 (illus.)

company story, 49 (illus.)-50

glassworkers' houses, 43 (illus.)

Still, Dr. James, 13 (illus.)-14, 45

Stokes, Isaac, 35

Stratton family, 22, 24, 25, 36


Braddock's Tavern, 24

Cross Keys Tavern, 9

Glover's Hotel, 24

Indian Chief Hotel, 31,34 (illus.)

Thackara, Samuel, 9, 50

Thomas, Benjamin, 9

Toll House, 25 (illus.), 27

Tomlinson, Ephraim, II, 20, 25

Underground Railroad, 20

Union Fire Company, 10 (illus.)

officers of, 28, 29, 36

Union Telegraph Company, 36

Upper Evesham, 10, 27, 45

Wanamaker, John, 35


Barton's Run, 18

Kettle Run, 5

Rancocas Creek, 8, 9, 14, 27

Wilkins houses, 12 (illus) -13 (illus.)

Wills, Edward, 50







The Medford Historic Advisory Board

gives thanks to John Crafchun and his staff

for their installation of the historic markers

at the 63 sites featured in this booklet.

Members of the Historic Advisory Board

Betty H. Trumbower, Chair

Bianca Haines

Lois Ann Kirby

Sandra Ann Moore

Andrea Rolleri

Garry Trumbower

This Tour Guide was funded by:

A-1 Truck Sales LLC

Bob Meyer Communities

Everfit, Inc.

Kirby Brothers, Inc.

Medford Lodge #100 I.O.O.F.

Neugent's Apothecary, Inc

Prudential, Fox and Roach Realtors

Zallie's ShopRite of Medford

Township of Medford

Printing by the print shop students

at Ossi Vocational Technical School

in Medford.