I SHALL endeavor in this sketch to give a complete list of the families living in or near Moorestown whose paternal ancestors arrived in Burlington County prior to 1700. The list is surprisingly long and I can do little more than give the names of the first arrivals, state whence they came and as nearly as possible where they first settled. Nearly all of the pioneer settlers in Burlington County were English Friends who suffered persecution in the Mother Country on account of their religious beliefs and sought a refuge in the wilderness of New Jersey where God could be worshipped according to the dictates of the individual conscience. They were self-reliant, God fearing men and women and we should ever hold their memory in honor for planting the banner of religious liberty on the banks of the Delaware River. In none of the early Colonial Charters is the principle of religious liberty more clearly or beautifully expressed than in the “Concessions and Agreements” which was the common law of West Jersey prior to the surrender of the Provinces to the Crown in 1702. “No man nor number of men upon earth have power or authority to rule over men’s conscience in religious matters; therefore it is agreed and ordained that no person or persons whatsoever within the said Province shall at any time hereafter in any way or upon any pretense whatever be called in question or in the least punished or hurt either in person, privilege or estate for the sake of his opinion, judgment, faith or worship in matters of religion.”
A few of the early arrivals had large estates in England but generally speaking they were yeoman, tradesmen or mechanics. Old deeds and documents show that not a few of our ancestors could neither read nor write. The founders of some of our most prominent and substantial families
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 117
came over as servants¹ to wealthy immigrants. The transportation of these young men or women which was “five pounds sterling with meals and one chest” was paid by their masters in return for which they signed an agreement or indenture to serve them for a certain number of years, usually four, from the time of their arrival in America. As a reward for their faithful services they were generally given 100 acres of land.
The following family names are arranged alphabetically for the convenience of the reader:
ANDREWS—English ancestry. Samuel Andrews and Mary Wright were married in Oyster Bay, Long Island, in 1663 and lived for a few years at Sandwich, Cape Cod, afterwards removing to Oyster Bay. It is interesting to note that Mary Wright was one of a trio of sisters who were powerful Ministers in the Society of Friends when mere girls. In 1658 they preached to Governor Endicott and his Council concerning the wickedness of hanging Mary Dyer and her three associates on Boston Common. At that time Hannah, who was the most forceful speaker of the three, was thirteen years of age. In 1684, Samuel and Mary Andrews settled on a tract containing about 525 acres in Mansfield Township, Burlington County, probably in the neighborhood of Mansfield which is located about one mile north of Columbus. Their children were Mordecai, Peter, Hannah, Edward, Jacob and Mary. Peter, Hannah and Jacob died in infancy. In 1699, Edward and Mordecai Andrews settled in Little Egg Harbor Township where Tuckerton now stands. Edward Andrews married Sarah
¹'The following records taken from the New Jersey Archives throw an interesting sidelight on the status of the indentured servant. The following law was passed by the West Jersey Assembly In 1682:—“Servants over 21 transported or to be transported into this Province without indentures or other agreements shall serve 4 years from the time of arrival. Under 21 the time of service shall be set by the Court.” Under date of July 25, 1681 I find the following memorandum of indenture of service:—“Sarah, daughter of Thomas Curtis, binds herself as servant for 4 years to Benjamin Scott, husbandman, bound for West Jersey for which he is to give her 40 acres.”
118 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
Ong in 1694 and most of the family now living in or near Moorestown are descended from them.
BORTON—John Borton, a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and Ann, his wife, from the Parish of Aynhoe, Northamptonshire, England, arrived at Burlington in 1679. “Hillsdown” the ancestral home of the Borton family originally containing 200 acres, was located on the south side of Rancocas Creek below Centreton and extended back to the village of Masonville. This tract was surveyed for John Borton on April 26th, 1682. The following record, however, published in the New Jersey Archives clearly indicates that they first settled on the northern side of the Creek. A memorandum of deed dated Third month 27th, 1680, reads as follows: “Daniel Wills of Rancocas New Jersey, Doctor of Physick, to John Boarton² of the same place, husbandman, for 110 acres, north grantor and south John Payne.”
The children of John and Ann Borton were John, William, Ann, Elizabeth, Esther, Mary and Susanna. John Borton, Sr., died in 1687 and John, Jr., inherited “Hilisdown lying on ye south side of Northampton River being in quantity 300 acres or somewhat more” with the exception of a onethird interest left to his widow. William inherited the settlement “fronting upon Northampton River northward being in quantity 110 acres and somewhat more.” This evidently was the farm on the northern side of the Creek adjoining Daniel Wills.
It is stated in the Genealogy of the Borton and Mason families, written by Freeman C. Mason, that John Borton, Jr. and William Borton “purchased land on the Northampton River (now Rancocas Creek) in Eighth month, 1681, 175 and 150 acres respectively.” This is undoubtedly an error as John was then 12 years of age and William 9. The
²The name Borton is spelled Boarton, Bourton and Bourten in the early records. It is evident that many of our ancestors spelled phonetically as the names of most of the old Burlington County families are spelled in various ways.
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 119
original record of this survey is very indistinct and looksmore like 1687 than 1681. I believe 1687, the year in whichJohn Borton, Sr. died is the correct date and that the survey referred to in the Borton Genealogy is a record of the division of the property under their father’s will. Joseph Borton, a direct descendant of John and Ann, lived at “Hilisdown” until 1835 when he purchased 127 acres inWesthampton Township on the road leading from Rancocas to Burlington. C. Walter, J. Harvey and Wm. J. Borton of Moorestown, are descended from the pioneers, John and Ann.
BARTON—Thomas Barton, a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” arrived from England in 1679. On October 24th, 1680, a tract containing 100 acres was surveyed for him on the northern side of Assiscunk Creek near the village of Jacksonville. He married Ann Borton, daughter of John and Ann Borton, the progenitors of the Borton family in Burlington County on Tenth month 8th, 1681 and doubtless settled on this tract. Their children were Edward, Thomas and John. The Bartons living in or near Moorestown are descended from Edward who married Sarah Day on Ninth month 21st,1706 or John, who married Ann Butcher in 1709. Thomas,who died in his 21st year was not married.
BUZBY—John Buzby, weaver and Mary, his wife of Milton in the Parish of Shipton arrived at Philadelphia in 1682. Their children were John, William, Edward, Richard,Nicholas, Mary, Elizabeth and Sarah. William and Richard settled in the neighborhood of Frankford, Pennsylvania. Nicholas, the ancestor of the New Jersey branch, married Mary French, daughter of Thomas and Jane French, the progenitors of the French family in Burlington County, on Eighth month 30th, 1695 and settled in the neighborhood of Rancocas. It is interesting to note in passing that Richard married Hannah French, sister of Mary on thesame day. The double wedding occurred in the old meeting house at Burlington.
120 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
In 1714, Nicholas Buzby purchased 280 acres on the north side of Rancocas Creek from his brother-in-law, Charles French. This was part of the original French tract located about two miles below the forks of the Creek. The Buzby farm came into the possession of Governor William Franklin, son of Benjamin Franklin, in 1770 and is still known locally as Franklin Park. The Buzbys of Moorestown and Rancocas and Walter J. Buzby of Atlantic City, are descended from Amos, son of Nicholas and Mary Buzby and his second wife, Rebecca Matlack.
BALLINGER—Huguenot ancestry. According to family tradition there were five Ballinger brothers in France, one of whom was burned at the stake and one hanged during the persecutions of the Huguenots. The remaining brothers came to America in 1678. One settled in Virginia, one in Pennsylvania and the third, Henry Ballinger, progenitor of the family in Burlington County, settled in Evesham Township not far from the village of Evesboro. Henry Ballinger married Mary Harding on Ninth month 4th, 1684. A return of survey dated Fourth month, 1684, shows that 262 acres were surveyed for Henry Bailinger “at the Vale of Easham.” This farm was located on the road leading from Evesboro to Medford about one and one-half miles east of the former village and is still known locally as the Ballinger farm. Although Henry and Mary Ballinger settled on this tract they apparently lived on the Rancocas for a year or two at least after their marriage. The Meeting record of the birth of their son, Thomas, on Sixth month 13th, 1685 reads, “Thomas Ballinger, son of Henry and Mary Baffinger of Northampton River.” Their children were Thomas, John, Joseph, Henry, Elizabeth, Josiah, Amariah and Mary.
BIDDLE—William Biddle, cordwainer (shoemaker) of Bishopsgate Street, London and Sarah, his wife, founders of the Biddle family in Burlington County and Philadelphia arrived at Burlington in the summer of 1681. On
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 121
January 22d, 1676-7³ William Penn, Gawen Lawrie and Nicholas Lucas, trustees for Edward Byllynge sold to “William Biddle, shoemaker of Bishopsgate Street, London, Thomas Ollive, haberdasher, of Wellingborough and Daniel Wills, practicioner in Chymestry of Northampton” a share of land in West Jersey.* A deed in trust dated April 4th, 1677 shows that Thomas Ollive and Daniel Wills conveyed to William Biddle “one-half the tract granted to both parties by William Penn et al on January 22d last.” One thousand acres of his holdings in West Jersey were located on the ridge where the older portion of Moorestown now stands.
The records show that on First month 20th, 1681, William Biddle located 500 acres “abutting on Delaware River over against Sepassinck Island at the mouth of a small creek.” Later in the year he purchased the Island containing 278 acres and for many years it was known as Biddle’s Island. It is located directly opposite Kinkora Station on the Pennsylvania Railroad about three miles below Bordentown. Mount Hope, the name given to their new home was located on the river bank not far from the mouth of Craft’s Creek. He added many acres to his holdings and became one of the largest land owners in Burlington County.
William Biddle was an active and influential man in the Friends Meeting, the Monthly Meetings being held at his home for a number of years. He was a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and was prominent in the affairs of the Province, serving for many years as a member of the West Jersey Assembly, Land Commissioner, Justice for the Province and member of the Governor's Council.
CIARK—William Clarke arrived from England in December, 1677, and in October, 1684, located 100 acres between the two branches of Pensauken Creek adjoining the planta
³Seventh month, 1676 old style, or January, First month, 1677, new style.
*As near as I can learn a share of land after the surveys were made In West Jersey contained approximately 6400 acres.
122 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
tion of John and Sarah Roberts. He married Mary Heritage of Gloucester County in 1687. Their children were William, John, Joseph, Benjamin; Richard and Thomas. William, the eldest son, inherited the homestead. In Tenth month of the same year, 650 acres were surveyed for John Clarke (possibly a brother) and John Rudderow between the two branches of Pensauken Creek extending to the forks.
Thomas Clarke, carpenter and cabinet maker, married, Mary Duhurst in 1693 and settled in Burlington City. Miss Sarah Woodward of Moorestown has a grandfather’s clock, the cabinet of which was made by Thomas Clarke. Thomas Clarke served as the first parish clerk of St. Mary’s Church, Burlington. He died in 1708, leaving a son, Thomas, and a daughter, Ollive. I cannot state definitely what his relationship was to William Clarke, the pioneer. I am rather of the opinion that Mary Heritage, who married William Clarke in 1687, was a second wife. If so, Thomas Clarke, the ancestor of Irving Wayne Clark of Bridgeboro Road, may have been a son of William and his first wife.
COLES—Samuel Coles, hatter, and Elizabeth, his wife, of Coles' Hill, Hertfordshire, England, arrived in America in about 1682 and located 500 acres on the Delaware River at the mouth of Cooper’s Creek. The records show that on Third month 13th, 1676, William Penn, et at, conveyed one share of land in West Jersey to “Samuel Coale and Benjamin Barctlet.” Samuel Coles sold one-twentieth of his interest in this share to Henry Wood and one eighth to Samuel Jennings shortly after his arrival. On Third month 11th, 1685, he purchased 500 acres with “dwelling house and buildings” on the south branch of Pensauken Creek from Jeremiah Richards for “one thousand pounds, two shillings and six pence, current silver money.” Samuel R. Coles of Moorestown, a direct descendant, has the original deed in his possession. New Orchard, the name given to his plantation, was located on the Creek at the southwest corner of the Haddonfield and Church Roads. The homestead stood near the present buildings on this farm. A
OLD MOORESTOWN FAM1LIES 123
little later in the year he purchased 350 additional acres from Richard Heritage. Their children were Samuel and Sarah. Samuel married Mary, daughter of Thomas Kendall and on the death of his father in 1693, inherited the farm. Sarah married James Wild and settled in the neighborhood. Samuel Coles was active in the affairs of the Township and served for many years in the West Jersey Assembly.
COLLINS—Francis Collins, bricklayer and Sarah Mayham Collins of Ratliff, Parish of Stepney, arrived on the “Shield” (second voyage) in 1680. They evidently settled in Burlington for a few years as Francis Collins helped to build the first Meeting House and also the first Market and Court House. For the latter service he received a grant of 1000 acres, part of which was to be located above the Falls at Trenton. On June 2, 1677, William Penn, et al, conveyed one full share of land in West Jersey to Francis Collins, Richard Mew and Richard Bull. These men were all creditors of Edward Byllynge and this grant of land was evidently satisfaction of their claims. Shortly after his arrival in America, he located a tract containing almost 1000 acres in Gloucester County where Haddonfield now stands upon which they settled. This estate called “Mountwell” was inherited by Joseph, the only son of Thomas and Sarah Mayham Collins. Joseph was the father of Isaac Collins, the famous colonial printer. Sarah Collins died shortly after their arrival and in 1687. Francis Collins married Mary Goslin, widow of Dr. John Goslin. Aaron, Arthur, Irving and Lester Collins and as far as I know, all others bearing the name are descended from John, son of Francis and Mary Goslin Collins, who married Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Stokes Moore. Francis Collins, the progenitor, was a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and served his community for many years as Land Commissioner and member of the West Jersey Assembly.
124 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
CONROW—Huguenot ancestry. Daniel, Isaac and Jacob arrived from England in 1680. Daniel left no issue and probably died when a young man. Isaac and Jacob Conrow were supposed to have been step-sons of Matthew Allen, who purchased 3200 acres of land on the Delaware River lying between Swedes Run which empties into the river a little above Riverton and the Rancocas Creek from John Smith of Christeene Creek, Delaware on Eighth month 14th, 1680. Matthew Allen, by deed of gift recorded on May 12th, 1683, conveyed 500 acres of this tract to “Isaac Conoroe alias Allin out of good will and kindness which he hath and beareth unto the said Isaac Conoroe.” On the same date he also conveyed 500 acres to his brother, “Jacob Conoroe alias AIlin.” A memorandum of deed dated October 23d, 1699, shows that “Jacob Conoroe” conveyed “500 acres to Abraham Hewlings of which 400 were conveyed to grantor as a gift from his father-in-law,' Matthew Allen,¹ on May 12th, 1683.”
The Conrows living in or near Moorestown at the present time are descended from Darling Conrow, grandson of Isaac, who built the old homestead still standing on the farm on Garwood Road, now owned by Frank Jessup and used by him as a tenant house. This old brick house was erected in 1751. The initials and date D. and D. C. 1751 may be seen on the western end of the building. These letters stand for Darling and Deliverance (Stokes) Conrow who were married in 1740. The eastern end of the building is undoubtedly the oldest and was probably erected by Darling Conrow at the time of his marriage in 1740 and enlarged in 1751.
DARNELL—The Darnell family of Burlington County is of English origin. John Darnell, the progenitor, arrived in New Jersey in the neighborhood of Salem about 1700.
¹“The Genealogy of the Descendants of Thomas French” it is stated they were stepsons of Matthew Allen and that stepfather and father-in-law meant the same thing in the early days. The word alias meaning otherwise called, would indicate that they were stepsons rather than sons-in-law.
He is supposed to have lost his life at sea. His son, John,, married Hannah, grand-daughter of John and Ann Borton, the founders of the Borton family in Burlington County in 1722 and settled on a 400 acre tract in Evesham Township. This plantation was located on the road leading to Hainesport about one-half mile east of Mount Laurel. The Darnells were active and influential in the affairs of Evesham Township until quite recent years. John, Ezra, William and Harvey Darnell, of Moorestown, are direct descendants.
DECOU—Huguenot descent. Isaac DeCou and Rebecca,. his second wife, arrived at New Castle, Delaware in Fifth month, 1686. Before leaving England he purchased a large tract of “unappropriated land” in Pennsylvania from William Penn, part of which was located in Buckingham Township, Bucks County. Isaac died shortly after his arrival and was buried at Chester. The children of Isaac and Susanna Ashton DeCou, his first wife, were Jacob, John, Isaac, Elizabeth and Emanuel. John did not marry and Emanuel died before the family left England. Isaac and Jacob settled in Burlington County prior to 1690.
Jacob married Elizabeth Newbold, widow of James Newbold and daughter of Robert and Prudence Powell at the home of Dr. Daniel Wills in 1699. They settled in Mansfield Township near the village of Georgetown. He had previously located 600 acres at Mattacopeny in Springfield Township near the village of Jacksonville but there is no .evidence of his having settled on this tract. He sold it to his brother, Isaac “DeCow” in 1693 as he was then preparing to visit England and felt that his return was doubtful. Isaac was appointed Surveyor General of West Jersey in 1739 and is mentioned in Franklin’s Autobiography as one of the Burlington County farmers “whose mind was congenial to his own.” The Burlington County DeCous are direct descendants of Jacob and Elizabeth Newbold DeCou.
ENGLE—Four brothers arrived from England in 1683, three of whom settled in the neighborhood of Germantown.
Robert Engle or Ingle, as the name was spelled in some of the early records, married Joan Home on Fifth month 4th, 1684 and settled on a 100 acre tract located on Mason’s Run about one mile south of the village of Masonville at a place formerly known as Darnell’s Mills. Robert Engle died in 1696 and the homestead was inherited by his son, John. The farm remained in the family until 1903, when the owner, Ezra Engle, now living in Moorestown, sold it to Jesse Jones.
EVANS—William Evans, carpenter of South Newinton, County of Oxen Wales and Jeane lodge Evans, his wife, arrived at Burlington in 1683. They settled on the north side of Rancocas Creek on a 323 acre tract surveyed for him on Tenth month 23d of that year. This plantation was located about one mile below the forks and extended back to Mill Creek. In 1687 William Evans located “300 acres in Evesham Township at Mount Pray” (or Tray) afterwards called Evans’ Mount and now known as Mount Laurel. William Evans died in 1689 and under the terms of his will dated “the second of sixth month called August” 1688, his son, Thomas, inherited the homestead on the Rancocas and his son, William, the farm at Mount Laurel. In 1691' 400 acres were surveyed for Thomas Evans “at the Indian town of Quoexin on one of the branches of Rankokus Creek.” This farm was located near the village of Sandtown about one mile and a half south of Medford. He died in 1693, apparently not having moved to his new plantation as his will reads, “Thomas Evans of Willingborough.” A 400 acre tract at “Coexing” was listed in the inventory of his estate. The plantation was inherited by his daughter, Sarah, who married William Harvey. Thomas Evans did not have any sons and his “great bible” was left to his brother, William, from whom it has descended from the oldest son of each generation to W. Henry Evans of Moorestown.
William Evans, brother of Thomas, married Elizabeth Hanke at Darby in Tenth month, 1693 and settled on the
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 127
farm at Mount Laurel inherited from his father. According to tradition they lived for a time in a cave near the Mount. The records of Mount Laurel (formerly Lower Evesham) Meeting, show that meetings were held in “William Evans’ House” as early as 1694. On First month 10th, 1717, he conveyed 1 acre 32 perches “part of said lands” to the meeting to be held in trust for the use of “the said people called Quakers” and for a place “to bury their dead forever.” These records seem to definitely, fix the location of the farm.
In 1700, William Evans purchased 1000 acres lying between Mariton and Medford from Margaret Cook of Philadelphia. Part of this tract near Mariton is now owned by Joseph Stokes Evans, a direct descendant, who has the original Indian deed signed by King Himolin in 1701, showing that his ancestor also purchased the tract from the natives. The children of William and Elizabeth Evans were Thomas, Jane and John. Thomas married Esther Haines in 1715 and settled near Mariton on part of his father’s plantation. John probably settled on the farm at Mount Laurel.
ELKINTON—George Elkinton, the progenitor of the family in New Jersey and Philadelphia, arrived from Mollington, England on the “Kent” in 1677. He was a blacksmith and came over as an indentured servant to Dr. Daniel Wills to whom he was bound for four years. On 12th month 22nd, 1681, a tract containing 300 acres was surveyed for Daniel Wills, Jr. and George Elkinton on the northern side of Rancocas Creek. 100 acres of this farm was given to George Elkinton for his four years of faithful service. This farm was located on Mill Creek in the neighborhood of the village of Rancocas. In 1683, George Elkinton married Mary Bingham, who died within a few years leaving no issue. He married Mary Core, a widow, in 1688. Their children were Joseph, George, Joshua, Thomas, Mary and Elizabeth. Joshua died in infancy and as Josephs children were all girls, those bearing the name Elkinton trace their descent
128 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
either to George or Thomas. Thomas Elkinton of Moorestown, is a direct descendant.
FRENCH—Thomas and Jane Atkins French arrived from England in 1680. In 1684 he located a 600 acre tract on the northern side of Rancocas Creek between the Rancocas and Mill Creeks about two miles below the forks. In 1689 he purchased 621 acres on “Pomsocking” Creek next to Thomas Wallis and southward to a corner of Thomas Rodman’s tract. This plantation lay to the north and west of Moorestown. A line drawn from the public school buildings at the corner of Church and Second Streets to the bridge over Pensauken Creek on the Haddonfield Road marks the approximate southern boundary of the French tract. Thomas French, Sr., apparently never settled on this plantation. In 1694 he deeded 300 acres of this tract to his son, Thomas, “in consideration of the naturall affection, goodwill and kindness which he hath and beareth to his beloved son.” Thomas and Jane French had four sons, Richard, Thomas, Charles and John. Richard settled on a 460 acre tract in Mansfield Township and Thomas on the 300 acre plantation given to him by his father. The homestead was located on King’s Highway in the neighborhood of Camden Pike and Pleasant Valley Avenue. Charles settled on the original tract on Rancocas Creek and John in Northampton Township. Charles French had a son Charles, who settled on a large farm near Fellowship, afterwards removing to Moorestown. Robert French, son of Thomas French, Jr., married Hannah Cattel in Tenth month, 1737, and located on Church Road about one mile north of Moorestown. Thomas French, the progenitor of the family in Burlington County, was a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and was active in the affairs of the community in which he lived as well as an influential member of the Society of Friends. Wm. deR.. Walter and Cooper French of Moorestown, are direct descendants of the pioneer, Thomas French.
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 129
GARDINER—Thomas Gardiner, tailor, and Elizabeth, his wife, arrived from Warminster, England, in 1678. Thomas Gardiner and John Woolston erected the first substantial homes in Burlington shortly after their arrival. The Friends’ Meetings for worship were held in their homes prior to the erection of the first meeting house in 1683. The First Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends was held in Thomas Gardiner's home located at 228 High Street, on Sixth month 28th, 1681. Meeting records and family tradition show that William Penn attended Meeting in their home in 1683.
On Tenth month 2d, 1680, 100 acres in “town bounds” were surveyed for Thomas Gardiner. He located 204 acres of upland and meadow in Westhampton Township in Third month, 1685. Their children were Hester, who married John Wills, son of Dr. Daniel Wills, Thomas, John and Elizabeth. Thomas, Jr., moved to Newton Township shortly after his marriage to Hannah Mathews on Fourth month 25th, 1684. John married Sarah Righton in Tenth month, 19th, 1689. Dr. W. W. Gardiner, Lindley, Canton and William Gardiner are descended from Joseph, son of John and Sarah Righton Gardiner, who married Catherine Ridgway in 1724. Thomas Gardiner was a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and was one of the most influential men in the affairs of Burlington County, serving for many years as a member of the Assembly, Land Commissioner, Treasurer of the Province and member of the Governor's Council.
HOLLINSHEAD—John and Grace Hollinshead arrived from England in 1678 and according to family tradition first settled near Salem, New Jersey. They evidently moved to Burlington in about 1679 as John Hollinshead purchased a town lot containing 30 acres in that village on September 8th 1680 “over against the lower end of Burlington Island¹
¹The Site of Burlington City was originally known as Burlington Island. A small stream connecting the Delaware River with Aesiscunk Creek in the southern part of the town at high tide completely surrounded it.
130 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
along a creek around it.” A memorandum of deed dated Eleventh month 14th, 1682, records that Thomas Ollive of Wellingborough near Burlington, haberdasher, sold to John Hollinshead of Burlington, merchant, a wharf lot in that village. This seems to indicate clearly that the Hollinsheads lived for a time in Burlington.
I regret that I cannot definitely state when John and Grace Hollinshead settled on the Hollinshead ancestral tract on the south side of Rancocas Creek above Bridgeboro. Thomas Bean, who lived in that neighborhood for many years, stated in a paper published many years ago that John Hollinshead located 550 acres on the Rancocas Creek in 1678. This is undoubtedly approximately correct. The record of his first survey is not given in Revell’s Book of Surveys for the reason that the first two pages recording the surveys prior to 1680 are missing. Under date of Fourth month, 1689, there is a record of a survey for John Hollinshead “along Rancocas Creek between Thomas Kendall, John Rodman and Thomas Hooton of 1150 acres including his former settlement.” This tract was located on the South side of Rancocas Creek about two miles above Bridgeboro and extended back to the junction of the Mt. Holly and Borton Landing Roads about one mile east of Moorestown. The original home stood on the bank of the creek at a place known in the early days as Hollinshead’s Ferry. The old Salem Road crossed the creek near the homestead. Their children were William, Robert (died in infancy), John, Hugh, Charles (died in infancy) and one child whose name is not known and who probably died at a very early age. William married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Adams and settled on an estate of 450 acres known as “Bear Garden.” This was part of his father’s estate and was located in the neighborhood of East Moorestown. John, Jr. married Agnes Hackney in 1693 and settled in the old homestead at Hollinshead’s Ferry. John Hollinshead, Sr., was one of the first rangers of Burlington County, also served as Land Commissioner, Justice for Bur
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 131
lington County and member of the West Jersey Assembly. Eliwood and Thornton Hollinshead, Mrs. Robert T. Evans and the Misses Martha and Mabel Hoffinshead are direct descendants. The Hollinshead family trace their English descent to the Eleventh Century.
HAINES—Richard and Margaret Haines arrived on the “Amity” from Northamptonshire, England, on Fourth month 23d, 1682. Richard Haines died and his son, Joseph, was born during the passage to America. Their children were John, Richard, William, Thomas, Mary, Joseph and Dorothy. John Haines, who came over two years before the arrival of his parents married Esther Borton, daughter of John and Ann Borton, the founders of the Borton family in Burlington County on Tenth month, 10th, 1684, and settled on the Rancocas near Lumberton. Richard married Mary Carlisle, a daughter of an Indian Sachem in 1699 and settled on the Rancocas near Lumberton. According to family tradition, they lived for a while in a cave in the bank of the creek. Richard married Mary Carlisle, a daughter of an Indian Sachem in 1699 and settled in Evesham Township. William married Sarah Payne in 1695 and Thomas married Elizabeth Austin in 1692 and settled in Northampton Township. All bearing the name Haines now living in or near Moorestown are descended from Richard and Margaret Haines. The flames family is a very old English family, whose lineage can be traced back to the Sixth Century. The name was originally spelled Haynes.
HEULINGS—William and Abraham Heulings, Sons of Walter and Judith Heulings of Gloucestershire, England, arrived at Burlington in 1678. William married Dorothy Eves, daughter of Thomas Eves, the progenitor of the family in Burlington County on Ninth month 11th, 1680 and settled on the Delaware near Delanco. There is a record of a survey of 1.20 acres for “Willliam “Huline” in March, 1684, on the Delaware River “joining his own.” In December, 1684, 240 acres were surveyed for him “at the Vale of Easham” (Evesham) not far from Evesboro. They evi
132 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
-dently settled on this tract as George Keith, a missionary of the Church of England refers in his diary to a meeting held at the home of William Heulings in the neighborhood of Colestown. Abraham Heulings, the ancestor of Mrs. William D. Lippincott and Lloyd Heulings of Moorestown, married Esther English at the home of her parents in Byberry, Pennsylvania, on Sixth month 3d, 1686. They doubtless settled on the 81 acre farm surveyed “for Abraham Hulin at the mouth of Rankokus River adjoining William Hulines dwelling on July 26th, 1682.” This farm was located where Delanco now stands. In 1688 he purchased 225 acres on the Delaware which joined Howard G. Taylor’s farm above Riverton on the west. This homestead remained in the family until recent years. The Heulings brothers, both of whom were signers of the “Concessions and Agreements” became large owners of land in Chester and Evesham Townships and were active in the affairs of the communities in which they lived.
HOOTON—Thomas Hooton, tallow chandler, of the Parish of St. Ann, Blackfriars, England, who arrived in Philadelphia prior to 1680, seems to have been the first of the family to emigrate to America. On Eleventh month 6th, 1676, he purchased a share of land in West Jersey from William Penn et al, portions of which were conveyed to Friends who were interested in migrating to the colony. Thomas Hooton had a son and grandson named Thomas, whom he designated in his will dated Eleventh month 7th, 1688, as “Thomas the younger and Thomas the youngest.” Although Thomas Hooton, Sr. owned large tracts of land in West Jersey, neither he nor his son, Thomas, apparently ever settled in Burlington County, as their wills are both dated at Philadelphia. Thomas Hooton, Sr., bequeathed 225 acres of his land in West Jersey to his nephew, Thomas, son of his brother William, and 300 acres to his grandson, designated the youngest, being the remainder of the “last parcel of land that fell to me in the last taking up in the said Province.” Five hundred acres were surveyed for
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 133
Thomas Hooton on “Rankokus River at a small run over against Thomas Ollive” on Eleventh month 15th, 1682. This plantation was located on the south side of the Creek a little above Bridgeboro and extended back to the Westfield-Hartford Road about one-half mile east of Moorestown.
The Burlington County branch of the family is descended from Thomas Hooton, nephew of the Thomas who settled in Philadelphia. He arrived at Burlington on the “Martha” early in the Fall of 1677 and on the 29th of the Eighth month of that year he wrote to his wife in England stating that he was staying with Thomas Ollive and being well pleased with the country encouraged her to join him. She settled her affairs in England as promptly as possible and shortly afterwards sailed for America. According to family records he married Mary Lippincott, daughter of John Lippincott of Shrewsbury on Eighth month 28th, 1697. The Shrewsbury Meeting Record of this marriage reads “Thomas Hooton of near Burlington and Mary Lippincott living at Shrewsbury.” If he was the Thomas Hooton who came over on the “Martha” and not his son, as I am inclined to believe, Mary Lippincott must have been his second wife.
I am convinced that Thomas Hooton, the pioneer, first settled on the 500 acre tract on the Rancocas above Bridgeboro, surveyed in 1682. This Hooton plantation is referred to in a deed dated April 4th, 1686, in which the boundaries of the John Rodman tract were given. The following record of a survey dated in Eighth month, 1688, would indicate that he had a son, Thomas. The record reads as follows:—“100 acres on Rancocas Creek and 500 acres backwards. The first between old Thomas Hooton and John Hollinshead and the other between John Rodman, John Hollinshead and Thomas Rodman.” The latter tract lay south and southeast of Moorestown and remained in the Hooton family until quite recent times. The children of Thomas and Mary Lippincott Hooton were William, John,
134 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
Thomas, Mary, Ann, Elizabeth, Samuel and Benjamin. William married Ann Sharp at the Friends’ Meeting House at Evesham (Mount Laurel) on Eleventh month 21st, 1730. Elizabeth H. Richie, David, Joseph H. and William H. Roberts, Mrs. Horace Roberts and Mrs. James M. Stokes of Moorestown, are their descendants.
LIPPINCOTT—Richard and Abigail Lippincott arrived from Plymouth, Devonshire, England, in 1639 and settled at Dorchester near Boston. They returned to England in 1653 where they joined the Society of Friends. Richard Lippincott was imprisoned for preaching “that Christ was the Word of God and the Scriptures the declaration of the Mind of God.” They returned to America in 1663 and settled in Rhode Island. In 1669 or possibly a year or two earlier they moved to Shrewsbury, New Jersey. Richard Lippincott was the largest share holder of a group of Friends who took up a large tract of land in that section and migrated from New England probably because of the persecutions which they suffered by the Puritans. Their children were Remembrance, John, Abigail, Restore, Freedom, Increase, Jacob and Preserve.
The Burlington County Lippincotts are descended from Restore and Freedom. Restore married Hannah Shattock of Boston and settled in Northampton Township and Freedom married Mary Curtis at Burlington in 1680 and settled in Wihingborough. The following memorandum of deed dated May 8th, 1684, seems to indicate clearly that Freedom. and Mary first settled on the northern side of the Creek and not on the southern where Bridgeboro now stands as stated in several old accounts:—“Thomas Ollive, merchant, sold to Freedom Lippincott, yeoman, both of Willingborough 200 acres in West Jersey.” The record of this survey reads, “for Freedom Lippincott 200 acres on Northampton River and Mill Creek along Thomas Eves' land including six acres of meadow land on said river.” This tract was located on the north side of the Rancocas about one mile above the road leading from Bridgeboro to Burlington.
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 135
In Second month, 1687, he located 288 8/9 acres near “Pomsokin” (Pensauken) Creek in the neighborhood of Evesboro. His son, Freedom, settled on this tract. Thomas Lippincott, who married Mary flames on Tenth month 19th, 1711, purchased 1034 acres of land in Chester Township (Chester formerly included Cinnaminson Township) extending from Pensauken Creek to Swedes Run which empties into the Delaware about two miles above Riverton. The Lippincotts are one of the oldest and most influential families in Burlington County and can trace their English descent back to the Eleventh Century.
LEEDS—Thomas Leeds, a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” with wife and three sons, William, Daniel and Thomas, arrived from England in 1676 and settled in East Jersey near Shrewsbury. His wife died shortly after their arrival in New Jersey and on Eighth month 6th, 1678, be married Margaret Collier of Marcus Hook “on ye Delaware River” at Burlington Meeting. Daniel, the second son of Thomas Leeds and his first wife, was the progenitor of the Leeds family in Burlington County. He was married when he came to America but his wife also dying shortly afterwards he married Ann Stacy at Burlington on Second month 21st, 1681. The Meeting Record reads, “Daniel Leeds late of Shrewsbury, East Jersey, cooper” indicating he had already settled in the neighborhood of Burlington. Daniel Leeds purchased a tract of land from Robert Stacy on Tenth month 21st, 1680, located near Springfield (now Jacksonville) in Springfield Township on the south side of Assiscunk Creek and doubtless settled on this plantation. He afterwards added 200 acres to his holdings at this place. Ann Stacy Leeds died on Twelfth month, 3d, 1681 and two years later he married Dorothy Young.
Daniel Leeds was an active surveyor and in 1696 made the first map of Burlington City. He served as a member of the Governor’s Council under Lord Cornbury, the first Governor of the Province, after the surrender of East and West Jersey to the Crown in 1702. He was appointed Sur
veyor General in 1681 and served until 1710. He was also a member of the Assembly from Burlington in 1682 and Justice of the Supreme Court in 1709. He was mentioned as an astrologer by Franklin in his Poor Richard Almanac for 1735 and Allibone referred to him as the first author in the Provinces south of New York. The Moorestown Leeds and Henry W. and Samuel P. of Atlantic City, formerly of Westfield, are direct descendants of Japhet and Deborah Smith Leeds. Japhet was the eldest of the eight children of Daniel and Dorothy Young Leeds.
MATLACK—William Matlack, carpenter, from Cropwell Bishop Nottinghampshire, arrived on the “Kent” in 1677 He came over as a servant to Thomas Ollive, one of the Commissioners to whom he was indentured for his passage for four years. The Kent anchored down the river near the mouth of Raccoon Creek and the Commissioners immediately proceeded up the river in row boats to the present site of Burlington. Family tradition says that William Matlack accompanied Thomas Ollive in the first boat and that he was the first man to jump ashore when they arrived at the site of Burlington. William Matlack married Mary, sister of Timothy Hancock of Brayles, Warwickshire, who came over in the “Paradice” in 1682. On November 14th of that year, shortly after their marriage, a 100 acre farm was surveyed for him on the north branch of Pensauken Creek also 100 acres for Timothy and Rachel Hancock which joined his plantation on the west. This tract was granted to William Matlack by Thomas Ollive in recognition of his four years of faithful service. In 1687 he purchased 100 acres adjoining his original survey on the east for twelve pounds and in 1695 he also bought the Hancock farm, thus increasing the homestead farm to 300 acres. It is interesting to note that some of this land is still in the possession of the Matlack family.
The original homestead stood on the bank of Pensauken Creek where the Club House of the Valley. Brook Country Club, formerly the residence of Charles C. Haines, now
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 137
stands. The central part of this old house was erected by Jeremiah Matlack, the grandson of the pioneer, in about 1753. The children of William and Rachel Matlack were John, George, Mary, William, Richard, Joseph, Timothy, Jane and Sarah. William Matlack, Sr. purchased 1000 acres in Waterford Township, Gloucester County (Gloucester County formerly included Camden County) in 1701 and his sons, with the exception of William, settled in that neighborhood. William, Jr. married Mary Antrim and settled on the old homestead. Samuel R., George and Miss Alice H. Matlack of Moorestown and Chalkley and William, of near Moorestown, are descended from William and Mary Antrim Matlack. The Matlacks have been active and influential in the affairs of old Chester Township from the earliest days.
PHARO— James and Ann Pharo, from Lincolnshire, arrived at Burlington on the “Shield” in 1678. The Shield was the first immigrant vessel to sail up the river as far as Burlington City and according to local tradition it was moored to the old Buttonwood still standing on the bank of the river near Wood Street. On September 13, 1680, James Pharo purchased 100 acres “along the Delaware River adjoining Thomas Wood.” This evidently was in the neighborhood of Bordentown, as an early survey for Thomas Wood shows that he settled on Crosswicks Creek which empties into the Delaware a little above that town. In April, 1688, James Pharo purchased 181 acres on Black’s Creek which flows into the Delaware River below Bordentown.
The children of James and Ann Pharo were Jarvis, Amos and Ann. Jarvis married Elizabeth Willits and settled in Springfield Township afterwards moving to Tuckerton early in the Eighteenth Century. A number of their descendants still live in that community. Eugene M. Pharo of Moorestown, is a direct descendant.
POWELL—Robert and Prudence Powell of LeGrand Street, London, arrived on the “Kent” in 1677. On Septem
138 MOORESTOWN AND HER, NEIGHBORS
ber 28th, 1680 he purchased 30 acres on the Assiscunck Creek near Burlington and on January 7th, 1681, 150 acres on the north side of Mill Creek which empties into the Rancocas a little above the road leading from Bridgeboro to Burlington. In July, 1693, he purchased 200 acres on the northern side of Rancocas Creek near the forks and next to the plantation of Dr. Daniel Wills. Robert Powell was one of the signers of the “Concessions and Agreements” and was active in the affairs of Burlington County. Miss Anna E. Powell and her brothers, Lawrence and Joseph, children of the late Dr. B. B. Powell, are direct descendants.
PANCOAST—John and Elizabeth Pancoast arrived from England in 1680. They located 162 acres “at the mouth of the east branch of Assiscunck Creek adjoining Thomas Barton” on April 5th, 1682. They apparently first settled on a 100 acre tract surveyed on October 24th, 1680 for “John Pancas against Mattacopeny on the north side of Assiscunck Creek.” These farms were located in the neighborhood of Jacksonville. They had two sons, Joseph and William, who married Thomasin and Hannah Scattergood, daughters of Thomas and Hannah Scattergood, who settled in Mansfield Township near Columbus at a very early date. The Pancoast families of Moorestown and vicinity are direct descendants of these brothers. John Pancoast, the pioneer, was one of the signers of the “Concessions and Agreements” and later served as a member of the West Jersey Assembly..
ROBERTS—John and Sarah Roberts of Overton, Northamptonshire, arrived on the“Kent” in 1677. The Kent was the first ship to bring English settlers to Burlington County and for some unknown reason anchored at the mouth of Raccoon Creek about opposite Chester. Before leaving England, John Roberts purchased one-sixteenth of a share of land in West Jersey from Thomas Ollive as shown by the following record dated Twelfth month 26th, 1676-7. “Thomas Ollive of Wellingborough, County of Northampton, haberdasher, to John Roberts of 'Ourston’ same County,
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 139
yeoman, for one-sixteenth of a share of West Jersey bought of William Penn et at, January 23d, 1676-7.” The price paid for this tract which contained approximately 400 acres was Ten Pounds Sterling. In 1682 (no month given in the record) he purchased 68 acres on the northern side of the Rancocas about one mile above the road leading from Bridgeboro to Burlington. The following deed dated Eleventh month 14th, 1682, indicates that they settled on this tract. “John Roberts inhabitant upon Rancocas Creek, yeoman, to John Hollinshead for a wharf lot in Burlington belonging to the one-sixteenth of a share bought of William Penn et at on January 23d, 1676-7.”
On November 14th, 1682, Daniel Leeds surveyed 267 acres for John Roberts “at the Indian town of Penisoakin between the two branches of Cimsissinck Creek.”¹ They apparently did not settle on this tract before 1683 or possibly 1684, as the Burlington Meeting record of the birth of their daughter, Hannah, reads “Hannah, daughter of John and Sarah Roberts of Northampton River, born in Sixth month, 1683.” The Roberts Monument on the southern side of Camden Pike just over the bridge across the north branch of Pensauken Creek, marks the approximate location of their first home. Family tradition says they lived for a time in a cave on the bank of the creek. John Roberts died in 1695 and was buried in the old burying ground on the Pensauken a little above the Club House of the Valley Brook Country Club which was formerly the home of Charles C. Haines. His widow, Sarah Roberts, a woman of exceptionally, strong character and executive ability, died in about 1712. Their children were John, Sarah, Mary and Hannah. John, the only son, who married Mary Elkinton, daughter of George and Mary Core Elkinton, the founders of the Elkinton family, of Burlington
¹CimsIssinck sometimes spelled Simsisslnck, was the Indian name for Pensauken Creek. The word Pensauken which is spelled in many ways in the early records was the name of an Indian tribe who lived between the two branches of the creek, probably on the Roberts plantation.
140 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
County and Philadelphia, inherited the plantation. David, Joseph H., William H., and Horace Roberts of Moorestown as well as practically all other families in this neighborhood bearing the name Roberts, are directly descended from John and Sarah Roberts.
ROGERS—John Rogers arrived from England in 1678. He married Mary Scholey at Burlington Meeting on Eighth month 31st, 1680, and settled on the Delaware River in Nottingham (now Hamilton) Township, a little above Bordentown. Mary Rogers died in 1692 and John in 1700. His will, which was proved on March 30, 1700, reads, “John Rogers of Nottingham, Burlington County.” They left four minor children, John, Mary, Joseph and Deborah. John, the oldest child was thirteen years of age at the time of his father’s death. Samuel and John Bunting of Crosswicks were appointed their guardians and it was stipulated in the will that they were to receive one year of schooling after which John was to be apprenticed to a blacksmith and Joseph to a weaver or tailor. It is said that Joseph married an Indian maid and settled on the homestead near Bordentown.
I am of the opinion, however, that the Moorestown branch of the family is not descended from John and Mary Rogers. A genealogical sketch of the Moorestown branch possessed by Mrs. Franklin W. D’Olier, a direct descendant, and compiled by Elizabeth B. Satterthwaite of Trenton, a genealogist of wide experience, traces their descent to Thomas Rogers, who came over on the Mayflower. John Rogers, a descendant of Thomas, married Elizabeth Twinning in 1669 and settled at Eastham, Cape Cod. He bought a large tract of land in Burlington County, according to her account, which he deeded to his son, William. A number of Quaker families left New England at this time, some of which settled in New Jersey. William was one of this group and settled on Rancocas Creek. This record shows that John Rogers purchased 150 acres in Evesham Township in 1725 from John Middleton and in 1727 transferred
OLD MOORS8TOWN FAMILIES 141
it to his son, William. The record is not clear at this point as it does not state that John Rogers came to New Jersey with his son William.
Mrs. Walter W. Gardiner of Moorestown, a direct descendant, has the original deed dated April 27th, 1725, which states, “John Rogers of the Town and County of Burlington” purchased 150 acres in Evesham Township from John Middleton for “one hundred and fifty pounds lawful money of America.” The question naturally arises, who was John Rogers of Burlington? The records show that “John Rogers” settled near Burlington prior to 1700 and was an active member of old St. Mary’s Church in 1703. This could not have been the son of the John Rogers who settled near Bordentown in 1680 as he would have been a mere lad seventeen years of age at that time. I am of the opinion that the Burlington John Rogers was the father of William who, according to Miss Satterthwaite, settled on Rancocas Creek.
The farm purchased by John Rogers from John Middleton in 1725 and sold to his son, William, in 1727, is located about one mile east of Mount Laurel. The present homestead on this old plantation is built of native sandstone and was erected in 1767.
RUDDEROW—John Rudderow arrived at Philadelphia from England about 1680. He was a surveyor and also had considerable knowledge of law. After remaining in the neighborhood of Philadelphia for a few years he decided to return to England but the unexpected arrival at Philadelphia of Robert Stiles and his sister, Lucy, immediately altered his plans. He and Lucy Stiles were afterwards married and settled on a large plantation between the two branches of Pensauken Creek not far from Fork Landing. The original survey is dated Tenth month, 1684 and calls for 650 acres which were surveyed in the names of John Clark and John Rudderow. 475 acres of this tract located at the forks of the creek were later resurveyed for John Rudderow. John and Lucy Stiles Rudderow's children were
142 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
Mary, Rebecca, Hannah, Ann, Sarah, John and three whose names were not recorded and who undoubtedly died in infancy. John, Jr. married Elizabeth Hollinshead and was the ancestor of those bearing the name Rudderow now liv'ing in the neighborhood of Moorestown. The Rudderows were active in the affairs of Chester Township which formerly included the present township of Moorestown.
STOKES—Thomas Stokes of Lower Shadwell and Mary Bernard of Stepney, were married in London in Tenth month 30th, 1668. They came to America in the ship “Kent” in June, 1677. They proceeded up the river with the Commissioners and other immigrants to the present site of Burlington City and a few years later settled on a tract. of land containing 162½ acres on the northern side of Rancocas Creek a little above the forks. This plantation was surveyed for his brother, John Stokes, on Tenth month 2d, 1683 and was part of the tract purchased by him from Thomas Hooton in 1678. John conveyed this farm to his brother, Thomas, in May, 1701, for “five shillings lawful money of England and the natural love and affection which I do have and beare unto my brother Thomas living at or near Burlington in West Jersey.” It is evident that John Stokes never came to America.
The children of Thomas and Mary Stokes were Sarah, Mary, John, Joseph and Thomas. John married Elizabeth Green, known in family tradition as “Lady Green” in 1712 and Joseph married first Judith Lippincott, daughter of Freedom and Mary Lippincott, and second, Ann Ashard IHaines, widow of Nehemiah Haines. Thomas married first, Deliverance Homer and second, Rachel Wright. John and Elizabeth Green Stokes settled on a plantation located further down the creek which they named “Stokingham.” Joseph purchased a tract containing 200 acre in Chester 'Township near Westfield in 1708.
Samuel Stokes, son of Joseph and Judith, when a young man, purchased 300 acres in Chester Township upon which he built his first home. He married Hannah Hinchman in
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 143
1741 and settled on this plantation. In 1753 he purchased 130 acres on the road leading from Moorestown to Riverton near the former village upon which he erected a fine house which he named “Harmony Hall.” The original building is now part of the fine old colonial residence of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph L. Freeman, 607 Chester Avenue. John Hinchman Stokes, son of Samuel and Hannah Stokes was born in “Harmony Hall” in 1764. He studied medicine under Dr. Thomas Parke of Philadelphia and began to practice in Moorestown in 1786.
Dr. Joseph Stokes, President of the Burlington County Trust Company, is descended from Joseph and Judith Stokes on his father’s side and from John and Elizabeth Stokes on his mother’s. Bispham, Cheston and James Stokes are descended from Joseph and Judith and Charles W. Stokes from Thomas and Deliverance Stokes who settled in Waterford Township.
STILES—Robert Stiles arrived from England about 1682 and settled for a few years in Philadelphia. In 1695 he purchased 415 acres on the north branch of Pensauken Creek about two miles West of Moorestown from Charles Reade of Philadelphia. I am convinced, however, that this survey included a former survey as he undoubtedly settled on the Pensauken at an earlier date. The early records of Chester Township show that he was active in the affairs of the community as early as 1692. His first survey was probably in 1684 about the time when John Rudderow settled on the creek. Gabriel Thomas, who published “An Historical and Geographical Account of Pennsylvania and West Jersey” in 1698, refers to Robert Stiles as follows:“The trade of Gloucester County consists chiefly in pitch, tar and rosin, the latter of which is made by Robert Stiles, an excellent artist in that sort of work for he delivers it clear as gum arabic.” Robert Stiles married Priscilla Howell, daughter of Thomas and Catherine Howell. Their children were Robert, John and Martha, Robert married Sarah Rudderow, John died in infancy and Martha married
144 MOORESTOWN AND HER NEIGHBORS
Thomas Coles. The Moorestown branch of the Stiles family is descended from Robert and Sarah Rudderow Stiles. The Stiles farm was located in Maple Shade on the north branch of Pensauken Creek a little below Camden Pike.
WILKINS—Thomas and Susanna Wilkins from Lestershire, England, arrived at Philadelphia about 1678. Family tradition says they lived for a while in a cave on the bank of the Delaware. A deed recorded March 26th, 1690, shows they moved to Burlington County at an early date and lived for a time in Burlington City. This deed reads as follows:—“Thomas Perkins to Thomas Wilkins, both of Burlington, husbandmen, for 100 acres on Mason’s Run west of the grantor.” In Tenth month, 1691, Thomas Wilkins purchased 200 additional acres adjoining his home property. This plantation was located in the neighborhood of Kirby’s mills. Their children were Rebecca, Mary, Hannah and Thomas. Some of their descendants are still living in the neighborhood as well as in Moorestown.
WILLS—Dr. Daniel Wills and Mary, his second wife, arrived from England on the “Kent” in 1677 and settled for a time in Burlington. He was one of the Commissioners appointed by the Proprietors of West Jersey to purchase land from the Indians and establish a form of Government under the “Concessions and Agreements.” On December 21st, 1681, he purchased 500 acres on the Northern side of Rancocas Creek a little below the forks. The road leading from Centreton to Rancocas passes through the edge of this tract. At the same time he purchased an adjoining tract on the north containing 300 acres, 200 acres of which were for his son, Daniel, and 100 for George Elkinton. This tract was doubtless given to George Elkinton in return for his four years of faithful service. The Friends’ burying ground, near which originally stood the first Friends’ Meet-House, is located on the Wills tract. Daniel Wills’s children were as follows:—.James, Daniel, John, Samuel, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth and Ann. These children with the ex
OLD MOORESTOWN FAMILIES 145
ception of Ann, were born in England. John Wills inherited the farm and lived there until his death in 1746. At the death of his father in 1698, he also inherited 621 acres “lying in the forks of the river,” 242 acres of which he transferred to the children of an Indian King named Ossollorohen and his brothers, Teannis and Moolis. John Wills was an ardent friend of the Indians and labored faithfully to ameliorate their condition in Burlington County. Dr. Daniel Wills, who was a direct descendant of Alfred the Great, was one of the most influential men in the early history of Burlington County. He was one of the West Jersey Commissioners, a signer of the “Concessions and Agreements” and served for many years on the Governor’s Council and in the West Jersey Assembly. He was undoubtedly the first practising physician in the County. There are many descendants of Dr. Wills in Burlington County at the present time. Joshua S. Wills of Medford, C. Walter and J. Harvey Borton of Moorestown, whose mother was Susan Wills, are direct descendants.